Ontario DriveClean - My log to clean up high NOX emission testing problems | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ontario DriveClean - My log to clean up high NOX emission testing problems

sure they look great , coincedence or luck. I just sprayed the hell out of it with contact cleaner the day before the P0133/35 came on..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If driven daily i would wait 3-4 days after all the "monitors" are run. After thats its your call to run it through again if its all still clear.:D Without going through every parameter personally, its your final call. Combustion temp and the EGR valve operation have a big part though and you have looked at those.

I'm going to accelarate those 3-4 days by driving around a lot on the weekend. the down side is I'm driving with a may 07 sticker and its jan 08...

The P0204 used to come back after 5min so I'm sure that is gone since I did 5 starts and at least 80km today.

UPDATE

Passed . a good ending to a long problem. I will follow up with a complete writeup shortly but here are the numbers for now. Changing the DPFE from the 2000 over to the 1996 and a new thermostat + a seafoam run out did the trick.

RESULTS ***************** TEST 4 DYNO TEST

---------- limit ----- reading
HC ppm ----- 50 ----- 7 ----- pass
CO% ------- 0.28 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
NO ppm ----- 548 ----- 211 ----- pass

RPM ----- 1647----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.6 ----- valid

curb idle

HC ppm ----- 200 ----- 7 ----- pass
CO% ----- 1.00 ----- 0.14 ----- pass
RPM ----- 801 ----- valid
Dilution ----- 14.8 ----- valid

OVERALL TEST RESULTS: PASS

<< --

Just for future reference, Higher than normal NOx emissions may be caused by:
-an overheated engine
-Lean air/fuel mixtures
-Vaccum leaks
-overadvanced ignition timing
-Defective EGR system

<< --

3RD E-test , another failure.. slight improvement over the first test but still far from a pass. I'm starting to think this E-testing in toronto is bullshit. looking at any US state or other province I would have passed with flying colors

RESULTS ***************** TEST 3 DYNO TEST
---------- limit ----- reading
HC ppm ----- 50 ----- 2 ----- pass
CO% ------- 0.28 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
NO ppm ----- 548 ----- 789 ----- failed

RPM ----- 1643----- valid

curb idle

HC ppm ----- 200 ----- 1 ----- pass
CO% ----- 1.00 ----- 0.00 ----- pass
RPM ----- 805 ----- valid

Hey you, "G" I`m going in to get my "test" with in the next month....A friend of mine owns the shop where I`ll get it done. I am installing my home made HHO devise [in the making] & will be quite anxious to see how the test goes - with & with out my HHO on. I live in Brantford [app. 60 miles west of you in TO] I`ll also be driving to Florida & back with "testing" different ways to employ my HHO kit...I`m thinking that a good "long" straight run like this [app. 2,500 miles] should give me an excellent reading I do expect great things from it like a good increase in mpg PLUS a much cleaner emissions factor... we`ll see....ha ha ha ...I`l keep every one posted as thing progress...good luck "G"...Dickster

I just ran across this thread while researching NOx issues after my 91 Explorer failed emissions today. I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd post to it to see if anyone responds. If not, I'll start a new one in a few days.
My research indicates that I don't have an EGR valve, and I have visually confirmed that. This was a pretty quick failure. I bought the Explorer last August. It came from a county that doesn't require emissions, so I had to have an emissions test before I could register it I'm just outsife Houston, TX in Harris County). Everything was fine in August. I've dumped a lot of money into it already in the short time I've had it, and I'd really rather not replace the cat converter without knowing that is the issue. Here are the numbers from last year and today. The ones in parentheses are last year's numbers:

H.S. STANDARD ACTUAL L.S. STANDARD ACTUAL
HC 143 16 (37) 147 39 (86)
CO 1.60 0.22 (0.32) 1.24 0.24 (0.42)
CO2 14.7 (14.1) 14.8 (14.1)
O2 0.2 (0.1) 0.2 (0.1)
NOx 905 1235 (358) 990 2252 (445)
Dilution >6 14.9 (14.42) >6 15.0 (14.52)

It runs great. No smoke. Very smooth. It has the towing package, and runs ver cool - just above the bottom end of Normal. Most of the work I've done on it has been brakes, oil change, air filter, trans filter, and sound system. It's a basic, dailt transportation vehicle. I drive 35 miles each way to work in heavy traffic, and we travel a lot on weekends across the state.
Any thoughts? I'd be happy to provide any additional info.

2 years later ****

I'm the OP of this highly successful 5 star thread, what can I say.. I wish this forum emailed me as I would have responded to both of you. Dec 08 and Jun 09.

So it has been 2 good years and the EX passed again with flying colours . I was afraid to roll up to the E-test center this summer but I did it anyway and when I got the results it was like brand new. I scored something like 0 and 187 .

During the last 2 years I had virtually no problems at all , a broken flange and a broken stabilizer bolt.

If someone needs help with the e test send a private msg or email

I used to tune coal power plants and what we usually did was we tuned for CO2 then we added air to the combustion to hide the NOx. basically if you can increase the air intake you should be able to lower the NOx numbers, of course if the temperature is hotter the O2 molecules in the air are less dense an you get worse NOx numbers than if its cooler

Emissions Failure - Sales Scam

I should have posted a follow up to my emissions failure, but work has been very time consuming the past 6 months or so.
I spent a few weeks researching the numbers on my failing emissions test, and couldn't come up with anything. The only thing I did different this time was take my Explorer to an auto shop close to the house instead of back to Sticker Time across town, who only does inspections (won't even replace a directional bulb).
On a whim, I took it back to Sticker Time, even though I had to pay for the inspection (instead of a re-inspection at the shop). It passed with numbers very close to the test from the previous year.
NOTE TO SELF - Don't have inspections done at a shop who then offers to fix the "problem".

Back