• Register Today It's free!

Ordering vs. Buying off the lot?

Rohardi

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Infiniti Q50
My current lease is up on my Infiniti in early march, and I am currently leaning towards a lease on a 2017 Explorer Sport. (leaning 80% Explorer 20% 2017 Ford Raptor) I would be looking for a black Sport, with the 401A package, twin panel moon roof, and adaptive cruise control. What benefit would I gain from ordering? If I was to do a Raptor, I would most likely have to order it as I would want it specked out the way I want it, and there won't be many just sitting on lots, especially set up the way I would want. Is it difficult to find explorers with the options someone wants on a lot? If I were to order an Explorer, how far in advance would I need to order it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Order by mid December, or earlier for safety.

If the dealer has a deposit down, they'll likely just hold the ordered car until your other lease is terminated.

When I picked up mine, we couldn't find a proper Explorer within the entire region my dealer is part of with Ford. But I also wanted a very specific, almost rare combination of features. (Who buys a loaded Limited instead of a Sport? This freakin' guy.)

You may have an easier time, but just order it for safety. Why not?

Thanks Guys, Good Info!

I like to order.
As I shop, I can never justify money wasted negotiating the bottom dollar on a car deal for equipment I don't want, or settling for a vehicle that doesn't have the equipment that I DO want.
I'm also a little weird about my miles. I want it fresh, without prior test drives.

Get the wallet ready for the premium on top of the raptor msrp. My dealer told me there is a "wait list" of 45 people waiting for the raptor and he showed me multiple agreements in place showing $20-25K OVER msrp. whatever it may be. Ridiculous!!!

Get the wallet ready for the premium on top of the raptor msrp. My dealer told me there is a "wait list" of 45 people waiting for the raptor and he showed me multiple agreements in place showing $20-25K OVER msrp. whatever it may be. Ridiculous!!!
Thats weird, over on the raptor forum there are MANY people posting their deals around invoice on the 2017 Raptor...

Having just purchased a Sport, I was able to get one that was technically considered in stock, but it was in holding -- so perfectly new. It seems all the sports come completely loaded -- adaptive cruise / collision avoidance, and sunroof. It also seems to come with all the little things (bumper protector, roof cross bars, etc). But they all have bench seats. I was fine with that. If I specced it out myself, I would have gotten the big options and the bumper protector... so $175 extra for roof rails and $150 for all weather mats was easy to compromise on.

Also do yourself a favor and go see the smoked quartz in real-life. It's an extra cost paint job +$400 in Canada but it's a super dark gray metallic. In fact from 20 feet away in direct sunlight I thought it was black at first glance. I ended up choosing that color, because you have a little more room to be sloppy (hides dirt better than black) and looks richer.

But if you want to try to get one in March, that could be tricky with an order. The deals right now are amazing.

Picking up my 2017 Explorer Platinum in White Gold on Halloween. Could get it earlier but my MKT was picked up on April Fool's day so I wanted to continue this scenario.
Dealer called the other day and was interested in my MKT which has 5 lease payments left on it. They will pay that off and buy the vehicle from Lincoln Canada and I believe the plan it to ship it to the U.S. The Explorer was on another dealer's lot and had some options I wasn't looking for in a "Build" such as 2nd row buckets, 2nd row console and all weather floor mats. My dealer will sell (lease) it to me as though the vehicle had a 2nd row bench and no mats. They will allow me to do a straight exchange, the mats for a rear cargo liner since I'm looking at getting another set of Husky lines. I was hoping for a 'ceramic' interior but this one has the 'ebony'. Just hoping now that the Winter wheels I have will fit. Gotta stop answering those call from the dealership.:D

Peter

Picking up my 2017 Explorer Platinum in White Gold on Halloween. Could get it earlier but my MKT was picked up on April Fool's day so I wanted to continue this scenario.
Dealer called the other day and was interested in my MKT which has 5 lease payments left on it. They will pay that off and buy the vehicle from Lincoln Canada and I believe the plan it to ship it to the U.S. The Explorer was on another dealer's lot and had some options I wasn't looking for in a "Build" such as 2nd row buckets, 2nd row console and all weather floor mats. My dealer will sell (lease) it to me as though the vehicle had a 2nd row bench and no mats. They will allow me to do a straight exchange, the mats for a rear cargo liner since I'm looking at getting another set of Husky lines. I was hoping for a 'ceramic' interior but this one has the 'ebony'. Just hoping now that the Winter wheels I have will fit. Gotta stop answering those call from the dealership.:D

Peter

The white gold color looks great on the Explorer! You might want to consider keeping the mats though, they changed them to a deep tray style mat which is 100x better than the old all weather mats.

Peter

NICE! Welcome back to the Explorer addiction, Peter.

Back