Drove new Explorer off the lot on Monday.....transmission went last night. Suggestions? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drove new Explorer off the lot on Monday.....transmission went last night. Suggestions?

So I got a call back this afternoon that says that they took apart the main control/valve body, removed the pan and filter, and put it all back together. That's it. Said they drove it and everything was fine. Said that it can be very finicky if the littlest thing is out of place. Basically, it sounds like they didn't do much.

This is one of those times that my lack of understanding on a topic leaves me feeling somewhat powerless. I'm not a mechanic, but that doesn't seem to be consistent with what I'm hearing and reading.

"If you're concerned, go buy an extended warranty."

Which doesn't do anything to alleviate my concerns.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you drove it since? If so how did it drive? It is under warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles so you do have time to see what happens while under warranty.

The transmission would be warrantied for 5 years, 60k miles as part of the Powertrain Warranty. In any case if it were mine, I'd still buy an ESP like I've done with my previous Explorers.

Peter

The transmission would be warrantied for 5 years, 60k miles as part of the Powertrain Warranty. In any case if it were mine, I'd still buy an ESP like I've done with my previous Explorers.

Peter
My error. Thanks for correcting me.

So I just picked up a 2020 Platinum up at the local dealership last Monday. It was a demo with about 5k miles, but checked all the boxes in terms of color, features, etc. I drove it home Monday night and put a whopping 50 miles on this week before it started lurching in a parking lot last night. Thought it was odd but stopped and put it in park briefly before getting on the road to head just a couple miles home. At first it seemed fine, but again starting lurching and couldn't get up to speed (30 MPH). I pulled over and tried to turn around to take a shorter way home and it wouldn't back up in reverse.

I managed to nurse it home a couple miles going very slowly. Called the dealership and had it towed in last night. They seemed surprised, but I told them what was going on and that if it was having such significant mechanical problems that quickly, they would be getting the keys back.

Last night, I read a bit more and learned this is far from a rare problem. I'm very disappointed to say the least. I bought a 2013 Explorer Limited new and drove it for 133k miles with zero issues other than the standard maintenance.

So I'm looking for any suggestions or experiences from the group. Absent this issue, I like the car, but I'm very concerned about what else could be hiding under the hood. Were these that poorly built? Both of my prior Fords ran very well....no big issues. I had a Chrysler that was a complete money pit with one problem after another (including a bad transmission) that I dumped after 60k for a fraction of what I paid and less than I had into repairs. I don't want a repeat of that experience. At this point, I'm leaning toward handing them the keys and telling them it's all theirs.

Any insights? Thoughts? Suggestions?
take it back and think Jeep

So I just picked up a 2020 Platinum up at the local dealership last Monday. It was a demo with about 5k miles, but checked all the boxes in terms of color, features, etc. I drove it home Monday night and put a whopping 50 miles on this week before it started lurching in a parking lot last night. Thought it was odd but stopped and put it in park briefly before getting on the road to head just a couple miles home. At first it seemed fine, but again starting lurching and couldn't get up to speed (30 MPH). I pulled over and tried to turn around to take a shorter way home and it wouldn't back up in reverse.

I managed to nurse it home a couple miles going very slowly. Called the dealership and had it towed in last night. They seemed surprised, but I told them what was going on and that if it was having such significant mechanical problems that quickly, they would be getting the keys back.

Last night, I read a bit more and learned this is far from a rare problem. I'm very disappointed to say the least. I bought a 2013 Explorer Limited new and drove it for 133k miles with zero issues other than the standard maintenance.

So I'm looking for any suggestions or experiences from the group. Absent this issue, I like the car, but I'm very concerned about what else could be hiding under the hood. Were these that poorly built? Both of my prior Fords ran very well....no big issues. I had a Chrysler that was a complete money pit with one problem after another (including a bad transmission) that I dumped after 60k for a fraction of what I paid and less than I had into repairs. I don't want a repeat of that experience. At this point, I'm leaning toward handing them the keys and telling them it's all theirs.

I've had a 2020 Explorer Limited since Oct. 2019. It has a pandemic paltry 6,000 miles on it (yea, it was parked a lot last year). But other than the pitifully poor around-town gas mileage (14-15 MPG), I've had zero mechanical problems. It's been on several 4-5 hour trips and forded many creeks taking me to remote fishing streams. Hope your situation is a one-off. BTW - highway mileage is a surprising 24-25 MPG.

Legally I believe you have 72 hours to return it for full money back if that’s an option you might want to pursue. Just saying that because I found out the hard way ;)

Hello,
That’s not right, my 2016 xlt with less than 50k miles has a brand spanking new transmission, I had to go to the hassle of calling the 800 number to get it fix and they met me half way. Very disappointing.

Best Suggestion is to do FAR more Research in the future before a purchase... sadly this aint no 'surprise" to anyone who did.

I understand your frustration, I bought a brand new 2021 also 2.3 and have no issues so far, I am a Qualified Mechanic and do research before I buy, with any new product there are faults, this transmission is used all over Ford products F150, Ranger Mustang and Explorer. 2.3 Engines are used in Mustang Ranger and Explorer wich is very reliable. There was a recall on faulty transmission coolers, they would crack and leak and cause the transmission to fail due to low or no oil, they should have checked for recalls or Service buletin. I wouldn't be happy either. I would demand a new Transmission or as you said, give them the keys back. I love my 2021 Explorer and it gives great gas milage and have enough power even loaded. Pease keep us updated.

A Qualified

I think you legally have 72 hours to return it for a full refund, if that is something you are considering. After that period of time, it’s yours... and sometimes a difficult fight to remedy. I’m only saying this because I found out the hard way...

you are entitled to a new transmission if you want. ford and gm supposaly did a joint venture developing the 10 speed trans and its been troublsome but if they said they want the keys back that quick i would bet they know something so you might be best to walk. and remember 2020 chassee is a different one than 2019 frount wheel drive

You need to look into your states lemon law and depending, contact a lemon law attorney. To be deemed lemon (again look into your state) it must be serviced twice for the same issue and they will have a 3rd attempt fixing it. We are currently deAling with this with our 2021 explorer.
after their second attempt they called our issue a “characteristic” lol
Currently dealing with the attorney. Hope this helps

I think you legally have 72 hours to return it for a full refund, if that is something you are considering. After that period of time, it’s yours... and sometimes a difficult fight to remedy. I’m only saying this because I found out the hard way...
That is not correct in Michigan. See post # 6

Go with your gut. Hand the keys back for that particular truck. Get another Platinum. Price may be higher, but at least it is not a demo model. I picked up a new 2021 Explorer ST in January...55 miles on it...yes...5-5. LOL...no problems yet. Your ride only having 5K and tranny problems is a lemon waiting to happen.

So apparently, Ford revamped their entire production assembly line and parts to accomodate the changes to 2020 Ford Exporer. There are Youtube videos galore on how royally they screwed up their cash cow. There are all sorts of issues with this year/model so Im not surprised with the problems you are seeing. An old acquaintance from a Ford service mentioned to me, they see more 2020 Explorers in the shop than any other model/year. Go figure!

Technically, your situation will fall under the Lemon law, atleast in Florida :
"The Lemon Law covers defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety of a new or demonstrator vehicle (these are called "nonconformities"). These defects must be first reported to the manufacturer or its authorized service agent (usually, this is the dealer) during the "Lemon Law Rights Period," which is the first 24 months after the date of delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer. If the manufacturer fails to conform the vehicle to the warranty after a “reasonable number of attempts” to repair these defects, the law requires the manufacturer to buy back the defective vehicle and give the consumer a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle."

So you should convince your dealer to null-void your sale (assuming its not registered yet). That way you get your money back and they deal with Ford directly. Otherwise your money is stuck with the back-n-forth with Ford and you are forever gonna doubt the next time cars gonna break down.

I was gonna replace my 2016 Explorer but after reading reviews, Im gonna hold out for an EV. With 55000 miles on the odo, my vehicle is still going good with 27mpg on highways and 18-19mpg within city.

It sounds like there was some contamination in the main control and/or a stuck valve. If they cleared it, you are probably fine. If it does it again, either you have an out of speck valve or bore in the main control or a part within the trans that shipped dirty and dumped some debris into the fluid. Did it throw a code? Wrench light?

You are probably fine, pulling a valve body isn't major surgery and you have another 59950 miles to see if it happens again before you are out of warranty. Other than the inconvenience, you are pretty safe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back