• Register Today It's free!

Over drive light

Stumpy33

Reaction score
City, State
fowey,cornwall
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer v6 4.0sohc
Hi all. I have two queries...On start up my overdrive light will come on.After 10 mins or so it will start to flash quickly and fails to respond to pushing the button on the gear lever. Am I correct in thinking that the light should be ON during normal driving?

Secondly...the red immobiliser/security light is permanently lit.Should this light go out after starting and driving?

Many thanks for any advice on the above issues.

( vehicle is the standard 97 V6 4ltr )

The immobiliser light should be OFF during driving.

The overdrive light comes ON when overdrive is disabled so normally the light should be OFF.

Like Stenasev says. Lights should only be illuminated if you've turned a switch or flipped a switch. I don't know what your illuminated lights mean though, sorry.

Thank you for the quick replies. Before I bought the vehicle it was used as a " shed " . It sat amongst a lot of trees for 4 months. The problems may be due to damp getting into everything and will possibly sort themselves out with more use.

The problem I had starting it was due to the immobilser fob being pretty gunged up with dust and debris inside.I took it apart,sprayed electrical contact cleaner into it and cleaned it out with a soft toothbrush.This seems to have worked.I have had no more problems starting it.

Regards
Ian

Back