Overdrive, indicators and Handbrake Query | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive, indicators and Handbrake Query

aussie_chubbykid

Reaction score
City, State
Bathurst, NSW Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hi all,
Just bought myself a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT and after a couple of weeks a few things started to happen.

1) The Overdrive light is blinking however the transmission is smooth up and down. When I press overdrive, nothing happens. A mechanic apparently mentioned that the overdrive (shift) solenoid needs replacing. Question- is this the ones I can see on the external transmission and can I replace these myself (and which one is it?)

2) The indicators have stopped working. The hazards work. When the car is idle, when I use the blinkers, the battery light blinks. I changed the fuse to no avail. I havent checked the flasher nbut have undone the steering housing and the wiring appears connected. Any suggestions?

3) The handbrake doesnt hold and the mechanic mentioned he cant tighten this as he needs to buy a new cable to compare with. Can this be done by easily by me for tightening or is his suggestion the only option?

Sorry for the length, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back