• Register Today It's free!

Transmission prob - overdrive.

Malcolm

Reaction score
City, State
Armonk, NY (westchester)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Eddie Bauer
My problem is that my '92 explorer isn't going into 4th gear, or overdrive. I can get it into 3rd but it stays high reving and won't switch over to 4th gear. Is this an overdrive problem? Is overdrive and actual gear in the transmission? Is there something else that could be wrong? I was told that I need a new transmision but that is extremely expensive for a college kid like myself! Any help I could get on the subject would be really appreciated! Thanks.

Yes, overdrive is an actual gear in the gearbox (4th gear). On my 96, my O/D light kept going on and O/D started acting funny. Turns out a tranny flush did the trick. If it's just a matter of stress on the tranny, an aux. tranny cooler might help also. With our transmissions, heat is the enemy and often O/D is the first thing to fail.

Well...

It could be a ton of things- 3-4 shift solenoid, OD servo, sticking valve or servo, bad connection. If its a dirty or stuck valve a fluid change may do the trick, could also be EEC related- pull codes first see if anything comes up- TPS related maybe.

I would have the shop do a diagnostic and make sure you ask them specifically what was wrong and why it needs to be rebuilt.

Ok, I tried a tranny flush, nothing happened. There are other issues though. For one, my rear antilock and parking break lights are on, on my dash. I figured they were just shorts but now, the tachometer reads 3000 rpms immediately when you start the car which I know is not right and I know that is not how many rpms the car is at because it feels and sounds the same as ever. Does the 3rd to 4th switch have to do with some electrical problem that the car might be having? Does the tranny have some sort of electrical part to it that switches the grear? It almost looks like my entire right side of the dash is going nuts! (that is where the two warning lights are and the tachometer). Any advice?

Thanks.

Back