• Register Today It's free!

overhead console temp and compass

Xplorer95

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I have a 95 xlt with the overhead console that has an outside temperature and compass reading. Just recently it has been flashing and cutting on and off sparatically. I checked the fuse, but I dont know what else to check. It flashes like a strobe light sometimes and other times just turns off for a period of time. What should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Xplorer95 said:
I have a 95 xlt with the overhead console that has an outside temperature and compass reading. Just recently it has been flashing and cutting on and off sparatically. I checked the fuse, but I dont know what else to check. It flashes like a strobe light sometimes and other times just turns off for a period of time. What should I do?
You may want to just replace it. I have one for sell if you need it. Or it could be a wire coming loose somewhere, but they are hard to find.

94 Limited, Same problem

My 94 Limited overhead console has been having the same problem--I took it all apart yesterday in fact, checked to see if any of the wiring was loose, and that the main power to it was good etc--bout the limit of the diagnostics I could do with a voltmeter and no schematics =)

How much for the console? (you can pull out the compass/temp part right?)

-AJ

My '93 Limited does that sometimes. Happens when the headlights or parking lights are on. moving the dash light dimmer knob a tiny bit stops it.

Not sure if that helps you, but just in case

That makes me wonder...

Is perhaps the fault is in the dimmer wire? The problem is that tracing the wire down to the dimmer switch is a PITA--since you've got to get the whole console thing off (I have no clude how to get the radio out so I can lift up the front piece covering the switch)--and that dimmer/headlamp switch is in there pretty tight.

I wonder if there is a way I can get around the dimmer function and just have it on full brightness all the time? (About a week ago it did, for a few minutes flash the right temp/heading).

Thanks!

-AJ

Back