• Register Today It's free!

Overheating problem

fozz.1

Reaction score
City, State
Woodlands, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I recently purchased a 2000 explorer sport with a 4.0 liter V6, it has all power and AC. When purchased it ran great, 4 days later it unexpectedly overheated. I examined it and found that the radiator had a split in the plastic side tank. I replaced the radiator and thermostat as well as the thermostat housing. After filling it with water all seemed fine. I waited a few days then drove it around the corner to make sure all was well. It overheated quickly and I turned it off and parked it. I filled it with water and tried to start it but it started dripping water out of the exhaust. I immediately stopped. I feel like it is a blown head gasket but there is no external leaking. I am fine with changing the head gaskets just want to be sure there is not a cracked block. I have checked the oil and there appears to be no presence of water at all. Has anyone out there had a similar experience? I just don't want to change the head gasket if there is more damage? Any thoughts? Your comments are appreciated.

I recently purchased a 2000 explorer sport with a 4.0 liter V6, it has all power and AC. When purchased it ran great, 4 days later it unexpectedly overheated. I examined it and found that the radiator had a split in the plastic side tank. I replaced the radiator and thermostat as well as the thermostat housing. After filling it with water all seemed fine. I waited a few days then drove it around the corner to make sure all was well. It overheated quickly and I turned it off and parked it. I filled it with water and tried to start it but it started dripping water out of the exhaust. I immediately stopped. I feel like it is a blown head gasket but there is no external leaking. I am fine with changing the head gaskets just want to be sure there is not a cracked block. I have checked the oil and there appears to be no presence of water at all. Has anyone out there had a similar experience? I just don't want to change the head gasket if there is more damage? Any thoughts? Your comments are appreciated.

I'm having the same problem with my 2001 Sport. Just out of curiosity what was the outcome?

Cracked head

It may be a gasket but while the heads are off have an automotive machine shop mag check the heads for casting cracks. A cracked block would not be a common source for coolant in the exhaust.

Back