• Register Today It's free!

1999 4.0L OHV Overheating Problem

norm209326

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Like the title states, I have a 1999 4.0L OHV explorer sport witha bout 172,x.. miles. I was driving yesterday and the temperature gauge began reading higher than normal temps, almost to the H. I pulled over and shut the truck off. I popped the hood to check for a coolant leak and found that my radiator was ice cold. The hot coolant from the engine was obviously not being pumped to the radiator. My first assumption is that either my thermostat went bad, or my water pump went. Can anyone give me any other insight as to what may be wrong?

CLIFFS:

Engine overheating
Radiator Ice Cold
Bad thermostat/water pump?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are right, Thermostat would be my first guess. Replace with the OEM Ford part. At that age its a good idea anyway, then see what happens.

Definitely replace the thermostat to start its a cheap fix to try first and will more than likely solve your problem. I would go with a Stant thermostat.

bump. Ill try the thermostat and see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Yes
Burping the air out of the cooling system after a repair is tedious.

Raise the front of the vehicle to put the radiator cap higher than the heater core.

Fill cooling system with a 50/50 mix, run engine until warm and shut off. Loosen rad cap until bubbling stops, remove cap and refill.

You might need to repeat this 5 or more times to get all locked air out.

50-50 is what I use here, you might want a stronger solution depending on your climate.

They sell thermostats that are designed to fail in the open position so as not to leave you stranded or cause a potentially catastrophic engine problem associated with one that sticks closed. It seems like cheap insurance to me.

well i have the same problem and i replaced the thermostat with a failsafe and the water pump i bought six months ago and all my coolant is going to the resevoir and i am stumped can any one give me suggestions

What are the specifics? Does the heat work?

Back