Oxygen sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oxygen sensor

Cole Krueger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer xlt v6 4door
Could anyone tell me where bank 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor is on a1996 Ford Explorer v6 xlt 4door 4x4 thanks in advance the code is P0153 autozone read it and said that the sensor had a slow circuit response so if anyone could point me in the direction of where that sensor is located on the vehicle it would be very helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could anyone tell me where bank 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor is on a1996 Ford Explorer v6 xlt 4door 4x4 thanks in advance the code is P0153 autozone read it and said that the sensor had a slow circuit response so if anyone could point me in the direction of where that sensor is located on the vehicle it would be very helpful.
@Cole Krueger
Sure thing! There are 4 O2 sensors, 2 for each bank. Bank 2 is the driver's side. Sensor 1 means the sensor closest to the engine. The 2 sensors on each side of the engine are screwed into bungs which are welded into the exhaust pipe, one on either end of the catalytic converters, of which there are two, one for each bank. imp

@Cole Krueger
Sure thing! There are 4 O2 sensors, 2 for each bank. Bank 2 is the driver's side. Sensor 1 means the sensor closest to the engine. The 2 sensors on each side of the engine are screwed into bungs which are welded into the exhaust pipe, one on either end of the catalytic converters, of which there are two, one for each bank. imp

Have you ever changed one cause i was wondering if i need the specific socket? to remove it and put a new one in.

I've removed a few with just an open end wrench or vise grips. Your other issue will be gaining access to the plug connector...which usually requires removing the center console and removing the access panel.

Have you ever changed one cause i was wondering if i need the specific socket? to remove it and put a new one in.
@Cole Krueger
Ha! I have had distressing and maddening issues with O2 codes for many months! Mine is a Gen 3, though, 2004. Still, location and placement of the sensors is similar.

Cannot use a socket wrench because there are wires hanging out of the things. Most all have a 7/8-inch hex size which allows use of an open-end wrench or an adjustable wrench (Crescent, or "Fits-all"). I recommend against Channel-locks (slip-joint) pliers.

Yes, I have changed one. Keep as much of the wiring as far away from the exhaust pipe as possible (HOT). The connectors are "trick", having a tiny "press-down" lock which must be depressed to unlock the parts, so they can be separated. Don't try to do this work soon after using the vehicle; let things cool down first. Be aware that the locating "tangs" on Position 1 and Position 2 (front and rear, or "upstream or downstream", are different, to prevent a front sensor from being plugged into a rear one's socket. And, the replacement sensors I bought had NO tangs, so they could be plugged into the wrong socket, if awareness was lax/.

Good luck. Keep us posted! imp

Your local parts stores might offer a Loan-A-Tool program, and oxygen sensor sockets might be available through them...

Cut the wires and use the 7/8 or 22mm deep well socket to remove it.

Removing is the hard part, unless you have a vehicle like mine that spent it's life in south Florida.

Both of my front sensors came out with no issues last week.

I wish getting to the last two spark plugs on the passenger side were as easy.

It took longer to remove the console and access panel than to change the sensors.

On a gen 2 with a 5.0, the bank 1 front sensor is accessed from under the vehicle.

Just slide under from the passenger side and it's right there kind of by the bell housing.

The wire connection is even easy to reach.

The other three are under the access panel reachable by removing the console.

Make sure you have a 7/8 or 22mm socket and/or combination wrench, and some Deep Creep or PB Blaster.

The Deep Creep seems to work better.

MT

Good Luck

@MAS Tequila It sounds as though one possible advantage to having a 3rd. Gen (and there sure ain't many!), is that on my 2004, all 4 Oxygen Sensor plugs are accessible from beneath the vehicle. So are the sensors themselves. I used a 7/8" open end and had no difficulty loosening them, despite 150,000 miles on it. imp

Your local parts stores might offer a Loan-A-Tool program, and oxygen sensor sockets might be available through them...
Yes I borrowed one from Autozone a couple years ago.

Back