• Register Today It's free!

P0016 Driving Me Nuts

Rob&Robby

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT 4x4
So, the more I research this problem, the more confused I get. According to my follow up research, the P0016 refers specifically to bank 1, sensor A, which is a Variable Camshaft Timing (VCT Solenoid), and not a cam position sensor. This sensor is supposedly located on the right (passenger side) of the motor, on the bank closest to the firewall (bank 1).

I ordered the cam position sensor based on other information I found. The problem is, I can't find the cam position sensor anywhere, nor can I find on the internet anything that shows where it is. Is the 2011 Explorer a pink elepahnat, or what? The problem is, when I do my search for an Explorer, very little (if anything) comes up. When I do a search just using Ford 3.5L, I do get more results, but they are for Ford Taurus, etc... So I don't even know if I am looking at the right thing.

Then we get into Ecoboost... Some of the things I have found related to Ecoboost engines show me the right location of parts, and others don't. My Explorer does NOT have ecoboost engine, that I know of... At least it doesn't say Ecboost anywhere.

Can someone please verify that for a 2011 Explorer XLT 4x4, the P0016 code does specifically point to Bank 1, Sensor A, and that that is the VCT Solenoid on the right (passenger side), on the bank closest to the firewall? Here is a screenshot of where I got that info.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P0016.png

Back