P0133 Oxygen Sensor code just appeared | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0133 Oxygen Sensor code just appeared

mmorningstar

Reaction score
City, State
Lovely Central Rainsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB V6
totally stock, just turned 100K miles and just returned from a long trip, drove it about 500 miles in the past week, that's a lot for her, and got gas at a place in OCMD that I'm not familiar with, then drove back 220 miles yesterday, got the code this morning, any chance it's the gas? Thinking of dumping in some 93 Octane just to see what happens....

P0133 is Bank 1 Sensor 1, so that would be the front Oxygen sensor, the one that controls fuel trims, not the rear, so I know it's not my cats thank god....

..That is the upper o2 sensor..

...You might crawl under and see if it's tight as I found a loose one sucking air...Also, inspect the wiring as they can get cut by leaning on stuff or even the exhaust..

..They are rated for 100,000 miles so you are about due..:hammer:

..If whomever read your code could pull the "Flash Frame" may help also..It will probably say running lean or have a zero reading as it can't find it..;)

No sense in running higher octane gas. It could be bad gas, but not likely. Run another tank or two of gas through it and maybe even some Sta-Bil, and clear the code. See if it comes back, which it probably will.

At 100k miles, swapping out at least the front two oxygen sensors would be good maintenance. They are relatively easy to swap out, and can be had from sparkplugs.com or rockauto.com pretty cheap. Where are you in PA? I could help you do it if you want to come my way, 17268.

Back