P0351 and spark plug wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0351 and spark plug wires

Reaction score
City, State
Springboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
My 1997 Mountaineer has been giving me an occasional P0351 code. In my reading it looks like it could be a bad connection on the wire harness to the coil, a bad coil, or a PCM problem.

To date I have tried unplugging and re plugging the PCM and the wiring harness to the coils.

Is there a possibility that a bad spark plug wire could cause this? Also is this a 'misfire' code of something different? My understanding is that a true misfire code is P030X, with X being the specific cylinder.

The truck does surge a little under low speed / low RPM conditions (45 mph in 4th, maybe 1400 RPM), especially noticeable when it is raining / damp, which leads me to suspect the ignition wires themselves.

It will also throw a P0153, not sure if that is related, but I am going to have a close look at the connection to the O2 sensor as well.

Thanks,

Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the plugs or plug wires original, or several years and well past 50K mi (or less if plain copper plugs instead of platinum or better) old? If so I would go ahead and replace those as it's something it probably needs soon enough anyway.

Well, It is not very sophisticated, but I figured I would swap the coils to see if the trouble code followed, and it did - I went from a P0351 (Coil A) to a P0353 (Coil C). I think this is a pretty strong indication of a bad coil, but which pack contains coil C?

Thanks,

Andrew

@donalds Nope! I'll be pulling the right head off of the 5.0 after the white '97 is all back together.

Back