P0741 8 years after trans rebuild to fix 2-3 flare. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0741 8 years after trans rebuild to fix 2-3 flare.

Alexjordan22

Reaction score
City, State
Issaquah, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
2000 Explorer 4.0 OHV 5R55E

In 2010 my Explorer had 120k and had the 2-3 flare. I had a friend of mine who works at a trans shop help me rebuild it before I sorted through the Valve Body Rebuild diary on this forum. After a remain TC and new soft parts inside the trans didn't fix it, I read on here about the valve body fix.

So I ended up getting one from Central Valve Bodies and the bonded separator plate gasket, and all was fixed until now.

The other day the OD light started blinking again, and I pulled the P0741 code. I don't remember if the Valve Body I bought came with new solenoids or not...and if not then I'm wondering if the TCC solenoid or one of the others need replacing.

The truck now has 165k on it, so the TC and all other parts only have ~40k on them. I guess my best guess would be to replace the TCC solenoid and the other main one..the EPM solenoid or whatever it was called. Been a few years since I've thought about this damn trans. I suppose a reman TC could be suspect, but after 8-ish years of daily driving I would think any defects would have shown up long ago.

Wondering what you all think? Thanks.

D7519DFF-8A8F-4ECE-9D9E-5CE9CB42EFE6.jpeg
A71992DE-503B-48E7-8384-5003B4BBF5B1.jpeg
I have hardly seen bad solenoids on these units. Maybe James will chime in with his experience on this. My guess would be the sealing ring on the stator has gotten hard and shrunk. Or may still have the original cut one. They have been proven to be bad and have been replaced with the new 1 piece ring. Central does a great job of up grades and building a good product so VB would be the last part I would suspect. Good luck.

Back