Transmission mount studs off after trans rebuild. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission mount studs off after trans rebuild.

98EdBomber

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 E.Bauer 4.0(RWD)
Hello everyone,

So I have a '98 4.0 SOHC 2wd I just rebuilt the trans. I had to remove the crossmember in the process.

After installing the trans to the block without much issue, I noticed the mounting holes on the new trans mount i bought are ever so slightly off. Maybe 1/8 - 1/4" off so not much. The new mount has slotted holes but only for front to back adjustment, not side to side.

I can move the trans when lifting up on it side to side maybe an inch or so but when i allow it to settle on its own the mounts are off.

I dont have the original mount anymore but i bought a aftermarket mount that matches the old one. Im not sure how the trans is off after reinstalling. Ive got all the bolts torqued properly to the motor.

If I have to pull the entire trans and motor over maybe a 1/4" it seems like this will cause problems. Anyone go through this before?

So your first mount was way off, and the second one less so?

1/4" isn't much. The whole powertrain is rubber mounted, so it's likely that it's settled a bit up front and causing the rear not to line up.

Ok thanks. Just wanted to make sure before i put it back together. Thanks for the replies.,

Back