painted chrome bumper?

Fish Man

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
hey everyone. I just got my front bumper swap all finished up...00 style limited bumper painted body color with fog lights. i love the way it looks but now my back bumper looks plain. I really wanted to paint the grey plastic body color but I'm always putting stuff in the back and figure I would just tear the paint up so I am painting the plastic with black bedliner. I got to thinking that it would be cool if the plastic was black and the metal was body color (dark green). I have painted some small pieces on this car and they turned out pretty well. since the amount that would be painted would be relatively small (compared to the front bumper) I have been considering doing it myself. is this plauseable with the stock chrome bumper? of course, I'd have to do the splash guards too. looking for any feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instead of stock

Hey i switched up my bumpers too... i bought new pumpers ... both black and had them painted and coated at a local body shop... as far as trim goes.. i used black bumper flex paint available at your local pep boys .... i painted them last summer and they have scratched or peeled at all even with all the crap if put in and taken out of my cargo area. Along with the mud snow and bad weather its all help up fine.

two ways for the bumper, if the inside isnt rotted thru you can have it stripped with a belt sander meant for metal or a flap wheel for an angle grinder( takes skill not to gouge it), or take it to a chrome shop like I did and have it de-chromed. You can also buy a black bumper thats already been primed. For the plastic you have to prep it, best stuff out there is probably SEM adhesion promotor you spray on with a "rattle can", then follow up with a primerand sand it smooth if you want(do not use primer to fill the texture,I left the texture plastic finish), then your top coat with/without clear.
To prep the plastic I initally pressure washed and scrubbed with degreaser then sand blasted it (Im sure you can use a scuffing pad), follow that with automotive tar,wax,silicone remover/degreaser.

Some tard rear ended the damn truck doing like 10kph in an Accord or TL or something and the plastic ever so slightly cracked on the bottom edge but the paint never came off, so I charged him 50$ eventhough there was nothing obvious... dumbass tax :)

I painted my front bumper and air dam black about a month ago, Chrome and plastic. I did not even scuff up the chrome or plastic first. I just sprayed 2 coats of this stuff first:
100_5356.jpg

Then 2 coats of primer. And then 2 coats of paint.
No chipping or flaking as of yet. Yeah I know you are thinking ...well its only been a month. Well we have had our share of snow and ice storms here in that month. Also having a black truck with wide tires that shoot salt and sand all over my rig, Not to mention being a neat freak, I wash my truck with a pressure washer at least 2 times a week. And still no chipping or flaking.
My first time using this stuff, But so far so good:thumbsup:
JIGA

thanks for the suggestions guys!

Back