painting rockers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

painting rockers

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
i bought rockers for my X and they have been painted over their factory green color to that grey trim color. i am going to paint them again black to match my truck. my q is there anything i should do special to these before painting them. i know to clean the heall out of them, and i have that adhesion promoter stuff to spray on, then the paint, then i have clearcoat. anyhting else? they don't need to be primered right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, they will need to be primered. also, try to sand off all of the grey layer of paint if you can. make sure you have a flex agent in your paint.

ok, i was just worried about sanding cuz these things are only plastic. i'll get a higher grit and givem a light sand. i don'y yhink i'll get all he grey off but i'll make it smooth.

you dont have to worry about getting them "hairy" when sanding them. i started on mine with 120 grit, and i dont think you can sand them hard enough to mess them up.

Back