• Register Today It's free!

Parasitic battery power drain.

D.m

Reaction score
City, State
Rock Hill
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 ford explo.sport trac
I have a Ford explorer sport tracker 2003 v6 4.0 I had a nearly new engine put in it. It runs like a wet dream! However something strange happens! The head lights at first firing up, cut on and will not cut off and could not be switched off till you remove the battery. I wrestle with this issue for months now. And now the headlights stay off. But the door lock toggle switch lights stay lit on both doors along with a flashing theft light which I found out is supposed to be normal? All other accessories on the door are off except for the lime green dimly glowing door toggle switches. I had installed a brand new battery and thought these little door lock lights would turn off along with the "anti-theft" light and in the early mourning before the sun came up the battery was dead. The truck does not have DRL that I can find according to the dealership printout it's supposed to be just under the driver side bumper just next to, behind or under the head light. BUT ITS NOT ANYWHERE I can find so I'm assuming this XLT model does not have any. The anti-theft light I found out according to what I read is not supposed to turn off. I bought a fob and programmed it to work on my truck. It works fine except that when I open the doors with it, the headlights turn on and will never cut off...at least till the battery is dead. The rearview mirror cable is not connected. Please help, I'm a disabled vet and can't afford to take it to the dealership, so I have to try and figure this out. Mechanics don't know anymore then me on this one.

Try a clamp on amp meter. See if you have any drain reading. Start pulling fuses and see if it stops
No amp meter, try a multi-meter in line with the negative post. Just don't try to start up it with the meter hooked up.

Thanks for your help, I have already tried the multi meter and can not pick up any drain on multiple settings. My back up lights keep blowing fuses can this be the nuetro safety switch or the PCM? I decided to give up on the head light issue and bought a remote battery disconnect. It doubles as a anti-theft and battery saver. But back up lights are a real problem

Back