Parking Brake Cable Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake Cable Replacement

chrisnin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Hi All,

Just had the Exploder at the dealership for new rear wheel bearings. They said that they had to cut the parking brake cable (Driver's side rear) because the cable had been frayed as a result of the bad wheel bearings. They wanted to replace the cable for $165 which I thought sounded crazy as I replaced the front segment of the cable for about $20.00 just a few months ago. Since they already cut and removed the cable, I'm not sure exactly how it fits on or connects to the parking brake assembly. Just wondering if anybody has a diagram of where it needs to be connected or any other helpful tips on this. It's a 2004 Explorer. Thank you!!!

Can you take pictures of where they cut it? Can use photobucket or the likes to post pictures.

fordparts.com may give you what you need. Part explosions.

I think it was the rear segment of the cable, so I would have to pull the wheel to get a photo. I believe it is the cable that actually attaches to the parking brake mechanism by the rotor. I'll check out the ford parts website... thanks for the tip!

I just downloaded the diagram from the site you suggested. Looks like enough detail to help me get the new cable reattached properly. Thank you very much!!!

Back