Parking brake handle is broken. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake handle is broken.

LOL. Hey seems like some guys want to fix it other's like me just don't care. I did actually sand it a bit to clean up the sharp edges but it is still broken and it still works fine. You can grab the handle and pull it without the plastic so as of right now... why spend money if you don't really need to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My handle broke a few months ago on my 96 Explorer also. I discovered that the spring loaded shaft of release lever goes to another link just below the bracket holding it to the dash. If you pull this link, just above the brake pedal, it will release the brake. But beware, it will probably hurt your hand. So then I learned to use the toe of my left foot to pull back on this link and it releases the brake with no pain.

Now that I am going to sell this car, I have to fix it right.

My repair is still perfect. You'd think it was factory.

Components_zpsc5e87a88.jpg

T-handle-ready_zpsc30b6a78.jpg

Did you make the handle?

No, it was a $4 stainless steel cabinet pull knob from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_250161-76633-89013_0__?Ntt=250161&UserSearch=250161&productId=3609608&rpp=32

It comes drilled and tapped for a typical 8-32 screw. I redrilled it and tapped it for a 12-24 screw, then used the same sized die on the cut off rod.

The finger grooves (which you really don't need, but I am kind of ****) were cut with a 9/16 carbide mill end bit, in my drill press. I then finished the grooves with a 3/4" stone, in the same drill press.

The stainless is very hard so I overdrilled the hole before I tapped it, then used JB weld to make up the difference. They must have different thread cutting stuff in the commercial world to have cut the original 8/32 threads.

All in all, I expended a lot of effort to find this piece and then to process it. I could do another one (although I won't) in a fraction of the time.

Here is a link to my original post.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401755&highlight=parking+brake+handle

That is an unusual looking tap with its spiral flutes and its Screw bit style shank. However, the link really doesn't say much about its ability to deal with tough stainless steel, though.

Fortunately when I ordered my SS cabinet knob, ordered 3 of them. Needless to say I now have two knobs with broken conventional taps imbedded in them. That is when I overdrilled the third knob, allowing a shallow cut of threads in it. Between the good threads on the rod, the shallow threads in the handle and JB Weld, the knob is locked solid.

E Brake handle fix

That's a first class job with the SS knob repair. I fixed mine yesterday with a similar idea. I just used a 2" steel bushing. The ID was just right for a 5/16 tap. I drilled a hole in the middle to press on to the handle shaft after removing the plastic remnants. I used two 5/16 set screws to tighten the bushing into the handle. Works great and the parts were all in my garage.

Mike

That's a first class job with the SS knob repair. I fixed mine yesterday with a similar idea. I just used a 2" steel bushing. The ID was just right for a 5/16 tap. I drilled a hole in the middle to press on to the handle shaft after removing the plastic remnants. I used two 5/16 set screws to tighten the bushing into the handle. Works great and the parts were all in my garage.

Mike

Should have posted a picture of it Mike!

Parking brake handle

James, I have a 1997 Mazda B2300 that just did the same thing. Two ways I have found to fix this without lots of $$$$$$. (1) A clip ring like climbers use and two small ty-wraps will do it. (2) If you want something more, Pull the rod out and hold in place with vise-grips. Use a standard 1/4-20 die nut and thread the end of the rod. The handle from a lawn mower pull cord will work. Attach with a flat washer and a locking nut. Remove vise grips. Took me 10 min. after finding the parts and size.

Retiredgoose

James, I have a 1997 Mazda B2300 that just did the same thing. Two ways I have found to fix this without lots of $$$$$$. (1) A clip ring like climbers use and two small ty-wraps will do it. (2) If you want something more, Pull the rod out and hold in place with vise-grips. Use a standard 1/4-20 die nut and thread the end of the rod. The handle from a lawn mower pull cord will work. Attach with a flat washer and a locking nut. Remove vise grips. Took me 10 min. after finding the parts and size.

Retiredgoose

Rgoose, some people like to repair things in a manner that does not look like a west virginian, good old boy, solution to a problem. Yeah, there a lot of clever short cuts you can take, but I for one, would like to continue the theme of, at least an attempt to match the original design intent.

Easy fix for broken parking brake release handle

There were some really good ideas on this thread, so what I took away: I went to the hardware store and bought a short screwdriver (about 3 inches long) and 2 u-bolts and bolted the screwdriver to the metal rod for the brake. It works like a bomb! Total cost about $6.00.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Yesterday I went to pull the parking break release handle and the plastic end literally broke apart in my hand. All I did was pull it as usual and the black plastic end piece fell apart into 4 pieces. Has this happened to anyone else here? I have no intention on buying the part to fix this, seems like a waste of money to me, but if anyone has any cheap ideas I'm all up for it.
Just buy this item: FORD EXPLORER PARKING BRAKE RELEASE HANDLE REPLACEMENT | eBay

Hi everyone -

I just installed the handle listed above on eBay and I got to say, the dude who CNC-ed it, did pretty amazing job. Worth every penny of the $25, highly recommended.

So the eBay item will work for a 2006 Explorer?
The listing shows previous Gens.

I know it does say previous gen, but works on my 06.

Ok, will order one. Thanks

Back