Anyone replaced a broken E brake handle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone replaced a broken E brake handle?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
This is for a 2006 Explorer. It has a broken T handle on the emergency brake release. The handle appears to be molded on to the rod that goes thru the bracket and back to another spring loaded lever. At that point it appears that the two pieces (handle rod and spring loaded lever) is riveted together.

I do not know if Ford offers the molded handle and rod but if they do, the rivet would have to be ground off and some substitute fashioned to reattach a new molded handle on rod to the lever.???

It appears that the T handle would easily be in the path of a toe of the foot as you went to apply the E brake.

There is a possibility that the T handle screws on to the rod but I could not try to rotate the handle without removing the two little screws that hold the bracket on to the lower dash. Removing that bracket would allow you to lower the handle away from the dash so that you could rotate it, if possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Gen 2 explorer E brake handle had the same problem. If you cut the rivet, it can be replaced with a 1/4 clevis pin or 1/4 bolt and nut.

My Gen2 had a broken handle. Cut the rivet from a good handle from a similar Explorer and you can use a 1/4 " clevis pin or Bolt and self-locking nut .

My brake handle broke in half on my '06 after 3 years. I used an epoxy to glue it together and its been fine since. Probably stronger than new.

Working on a replacement handle for my brake release. I bought a metal cabinet pull handle today. I should be able to remove the rod (grind off the rivet), straighten the 90° bend in the rod, cut it to length then thread the end of it. I will then use some red locktite to keep the T handle from rotating.

I'll post some pictures when I get to the job.

The plastic part broke off our '06 2 years ago. We just pull the metal rod now as it still has the bend in it at the end. Was going to order a new replacement, but figured it would brake again, so why bother. I'll fix it when we sell the truck some day.

Granted, it a small thing and you can still pull the bent rod, but it bugs me so I will endeavor to find a clever way to overcome Ford's slothfulness.

I got a nifty Twisted Tuscan T-handle shaped drawer pull from the local hardware store. It is just the right size to fit up in the space. It will be easy enough to cut and thread the end of the rod and screw the drawer pull on, using red loctite to keep the handle from rotating.

Back