parking brake release design is stupid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

parking brake release design is stupid

dxgmmpa

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Ford Explorer limited
I am happy with my 06 Explorer. I only have one very annoying issue with the parking brake release. Call me spoiled but my Lincolns all have automatic releases when the car is shifted into gear. It wouldn't be an issue for me but my driveway is on a hill and I usually park front of the car facing up hill and I have to reach under the dash to release it. What a stupid design! What makes it worst is that when the car is facing up hill the it is even hard to release forward to release the brake. I am too old for this movement. It hurts my lower back especially with the seat belt on.

Does anyone know if all the Explorers 06 to 10 and all the Lincoln SUVs of the same vintage have the same design? I am ready to go to the junk yard to see if I can find a way to modify the release from some other model or maybe find an after market electronic release mechanism with a push button release on the dash or console.

Is Ford still making them this way in the new Explorer?

That design is typical of a Ford SUV, the Explorers have it in that location for 06-10. It looks like the release for the parking brake is a push button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel on the 2013 Explorers so it sounds like you need to go shopping and make sure that is the case.
Edit:
Pulled up the owners manual for the 2012 Explorer and the release for the parking brake is pedal activated on that year so maybe all the 2011 + Explorer parking brake release mechanisms are pedal activated. I was looking at the posted images and it looked like there was a button for a release mechanism (too many buttons on these new vehicles!!), but that is not the case since I referenced all the user guides for the 2011+ years and they all say pedal activated release mechanism.

Picture_2_c.jpg

Back