• Register Today It's free!

Part Swap Help

sufikation

Reaction score
City, State
Fruitland, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 civic, 98 mountaineer
I am driving a 98 Mountaineer that has some serious front end damage. I have been looking in my local craigslist for the parts I need but they are hard to find. What I need to know is are the fenders, hood, grill, headlights, and bumpers all interchangable from an Explorer to a Mountaineer? If so I have found my parts several times over for cheap.

EDIT:
Just a few more details. The parts I found are grill, headlights, and a hood from a 97 Explorer for cheap. So can I swap out all my broken 98 Merc parts for those 97 explorer parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your '98 Mountaineer had this front end:

MEMO9701.jpg

Yes, it's all basically bolt on (I think). They switched up the front end of the Mountaineer in mid 1998, if yours is the newer version, you will need the front clip's cross piece off the Explorer as well, the metal piece behind the grill, so the headlights and grill will line up and look right

98-01 Mountaineers had their own front grille/headlight design. To put any 95-01
Explorer or 97 Mountaineer you will have to change the header panel also as the headlights will not bolt in.

There is some minor wiring differences too. As the number of lights is different. The 98+ Mountaineer has 1 less Turn/Park lamp.

Ryan

Ok, well mine has the newer front set-up...so as long as I get all the internals behind the headlights/grill I should be able to do this without to much hassle? Its just easier for me, and cheaper to find explorer parts than mountaineer parts so I got to make this work.

Back