Passanger door side molding | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passanger door side molding

RickOTR

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4X4
Just noticed that the passanger side door molding was cracked. Called the dealer and they list it at $68.00 but say it is no loner available. Called the salvage yard and no one has a 2 door sport in "Red Vermillion". Anyone know if this can be fixed? Here's a pic...

Ford Explorer Door Molding Crack.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If no one has it, it seems like there's only a couple options.

1) Fill the crack with something like epoxy for plastic, sand and primer and paint. It will probably crack again. It might help to take it off and epoxy some reinforcement onto the back side. It might still crack again.

2) Get a new /used of a different color and sand/primer/paint. If there's a little more of that molding on the rear quarter panel, you might want to get/paint that too, so even if the new paint doesn't exactly match the old on the rest of the door, at least the molding doesn't change colors between two pieces next to each other on the same side.

Might browse Row52.com. They show a bright red '97 Sport sitting in a Pull N Save yard in Salt Lake City. These JY's have private Sellers who are willing to pull parts for a fee. Worth a shot.

Found one 15 miles from where I live in a salvage yard. However, it's still on the vehicle so I need to take it off. Tried with 30lb fishing line and it just breaks the fishing line. Talked to several body shops and they say the only way to get it off is with a heat gun. Problem is, I don't have a cordless heat gun that I can takewith me into the salvage yard, so the next question is, does anyone know how to remove it without breaking the molding.

I removed the wider side molding off a '96 Limited using a thin putty knife. Worked slowly so as not to stretch it as I gently pulled it away from the body as I sliced thru the bond. But, your body shop guys are correct...the adhesive is super strong and a heat gun would definitely make the job easier. Thankfully you're attempting this during the heat of summer as I would guess it would be infinitely more difficult in colder weather.

OK, got the molding off my X and the one in the salavage yard with a heat gun and a wide blade putty knife. Guy had a generator so I was able to use my corded heat gun and it came right off. Used some trim adhesive to re-install. So far, so good.

Back