Passenger door

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Ah! This is bad. The power locks do not work on my front passenger door on my '93 Limited. When you press the lock or open button on either door (or on the keyless remote) it just makes a buzzing noise. The other doors work fine. It locks fine if you use the key, or press the thingy down, or pull the handle from the inside. What could be wrong? I would like to take off the interior panel to see if anything is obvious, but I don't know/see how. Assistance on that too please. Thanks.

panel

to get the panel off there should be a few screws. 2 by the handle and one up towards the window in the front.

The panel itself has "X-mas tree" plugs that hold it on. You need to pry these out to get the panel off.

I have done it with several different flat tools, like a putty knife, flat head screw driver, or small pry bar. There is a special tool for this purpose and I would think you can pick them up at auto parts stores. Also if you have a car audio place around they can probably pop the panel off real quick for you.

Its not hard to get yjr psnrl off, just work slowly around the door and look in behind the panel as you gently pry it apart from the doot to make sure you are applying pressure where the plugs are and not in between.

Once you get the panel free from the door it will be hung up on the window channel, door handle, lock knob, and electronics will be attached via wires.

first thing you want to do, is work the door handle through the panel. I usually pull the handle and then start to work the panel over it. Also it is easier to lock the door when you work the panel off the top channel. You will work the panel free of these obsticals at more or less the same time.

Once you get it lose the panel will only be attached by the wires to the controls. Simply unplug at the connectors or loosen the whole switch out of the panel. You will see some screws in there to drop the switch from the housing. Thats the way I usually do it.

(Note the switches should move out the back of the panel not up through the part that is seen from the interior)

Putting it back on is more less the reverse order. Just make sure you have the plugs lined up with the holes and everything else seated properly before you push the panel back in to secure the "X-mas Tree" plugs.

The first couple times you do this it takes a little figuring out but after a few times it is cake. The plugs hold better when they are new also. so if you panel hasn't been removed much they will probably be holding fairly tight. Just work slow.

Mine come off in about a minute now when I need to get back there.

practice makes perfect I guess.

Originally posted by F14CRAZY
. What could be wrong?

It sounds like the power lock actuator is bad. Its a solenoid that moves the lock rod up and down to lock/unlock the door

door locks

Back