Passenger lock problem..locks but won't unlock w/KEY or Button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger lock problem..locks but won't unlock w/KEY or Button

astrochimp

Reaction score
City, State
grand rapids, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
The passenger lock has been a problem to unlock for awhile. I had to wiggle the key back and forth and it'd eventually unlock. The power unlock used to work and it looks like it's trying to unlock but doesn't come up.
must be a mechanical issue.

I grab the door handle and have to keep pulling on it to get lock to go up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey buddy. i have the same problem with my driver side lock. the problem is the lock actuator. get a new actuator online or pull one at a junk yard and your problem will be fixed 100%. hope this helps!!

Before I bought a new actuator I would pull the inside panel and lubricate everything up and check and see if rust has bound things up.

that could be the problem, but why would there be rust in that panel? plus pulling the panel on and off too many times can damage it (i know first hand..)

that could be the problem, but why would there be rust in that panel? plus pulling the panel on and off too many times can damage it (i know first hand..)

Water gets in the keyhole and rusts up the mechanism. After a while they can seize up tight.

THANKS A TON for the info!
I'm going to tackle this Today, we'll SEE what happens

:salute::dpchug:

had the same problem and the rivet broke that held the actuator to the door

Back