Passenger side front brakes make "grunting sound" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side front brakes make "grunting sound"

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
My car makes a grunting/grinding sound that can be felt through the brakes when you first start accelerating. It lasts literally one second but can be felt through the brakes. It is especially apparent if you are braking on a slightly curbed downwards slope [such as my driveway :mad:]. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Could this be the squeaky brake TSB? I've already brought the car to the dealership four times for this issue and they have been unable to duplicate 2/4 times. One time they said it was rust and other time they said it was a stick in my brakes. I've even been in connect with my regional customer car manager [all she does is send me back to the dealer though]. The reason why this problem is important to me is because when you hear the grunting noise, it seems like it is harder to stop. I have captured what this "grunting" sounds like on my iPhone but I have no idea how to include that in this forum :(!

The problem I am having is very similar to what this site says about ford flex's;

http://repairpal.com/brake-noise-front-grunting-grinding-030

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My car makes a grunting/grinding sound that can be felt through the brakes when you first start accelerating. It lasts literally one second but can be felt through the brakes. It is especially apparent if you are braking on a slightly curbed downwards slope [such as my driveway :mad:]. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Could this be the squeaky brake TSB? I've already brought the car to the dealership four times for this issue and they have been unable to duplicate 2/4 times. One time they said it was rust and other time they said it was a stick in my brakes. I've even been in connect with my regional customer car manager [all she does is send me back to the dealer though]. The reason why this problem is important to me is because when you hear the grunting noise, it seems like it is harder to stop. I have captured what this "grunting" sounds like on my iPhone but I have no idea how to include that in this forum :(!

The problem I am having is very similar to what this site says about ford flex's;

http://repairpal.com/brake-noise-front-grunting-grinding-030
I will sometimes hear a slight grinding or rubbing sound from the brakes when I back down my driveway and lightly apply the brakes. This usually happens after it has rained the day before I put it in the garage.
Nothing to worry about as far as I can see. I believe it is just natural and is only there briefly. Not sure if that is what you are experiencing.

Peter

Thanks for your input Peter! I feel the grinding sensation literally every time I turn right at a low speed after sitting for more then 2 minutes. I'm really curious to see if this is the brake TSB or not. Someone told me that it is rust on my rotors. I definitely believe that but at the same time it does it after just staying still for like 2 minutes.

Thanks for your input Peter! I feel the grinding sensation literally every time I turn right at a low speed after sitting for more then 2 minutes. I'm really curious to see if this is the brake TSB or not. Someone told me that it is rust on my rotors. I definitely believe that but at the same time it does it after just staying still for like 2 minutes.
What you are describing does not sound normal. Unless the vehicle has been parked for days or weeks, I don't see rust building up as being the problem. I'm not that familiar with all the workings of the brakes but I'm wondering if you could have a sticky or misadjusted brake caliper.
For your info, my Ex regularily sits for 3 to 4 days in the garage and I don't have any brake problems so I very much doubt it is rust that is causing your issue. Especially if you get it every time you turn right. If you are close to having the tires rotated, I suggest that they have a good look at the brake calipers.
Perhaps some other members may have a better suggestion.

Peter

What you are describing does not sound normal. Unless the vehicle has been parked for days or weeks, I don't see rust building up as being the problem. I'm not that familiar with all the workings of the brakes but I'm wondering if you could have a sticky or misadjusted brake caliper.
For your info, my Ex regularily sits for 3 to 4 days in the garage and I don't have any brake problems so I very much doubt it is rust that is causing your issue. Especially if you get it every time you turn right. If you are close to having the tires rotated, I suggest that they have a good look at the brake calipers.
Perhaps some other members may have a better suggestion.

Peter

Thanks Peter. My problem is that it is quite dificult to replicate this to the dealer. The link in my first post describes my problem exactly but it pertains to 2011 ford flex's. I wonder if that has the same brakes as my ex? It is definitely abnormal. It's like a hollow grunting sound that is very disconcerting.

Back