Passenger side headlights and fog lights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side headlights and fog lights not working

DidiDavis

Reaction score
City, State
Davis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I just bought a 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 4x4. Today I realized that the right headlight low beam (passenger side) and the fog lights are not working. The left headlight works fine, and the high beam works on both left and right headlights. If I push the fog lights button nothings happens, not even the button lights up.
I read through the forum and the manual and found useful information. The right headlight and fog share the same fuse, but that fuse and all the other fuses on the dash (driver's side) are good. However, the shared fuse has only one wire connected to it, is that the way it is supposed to be?
I replaced the fog lamp relay (6 bucks at Napa), but still, he lights are not working. I am hoping this is a common problem of explorer with an easy (and cheap) fix. Do you guys have an idea of what the problem could be?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same problem

Any ideas on this, i had the same problem just after i replaced both headlamps for the same time. for a while it would work intermittently but now nothing at all.

I found the problem. I did some more search and found that the LOM (lamp off module) causes this problem. There's several threads on the topic.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282217&highlight=LOM
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271916&highlight=LOM
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260320&highlight=LOM
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122570&page=2

if you do some search, you're gonna find other topics and some youtube videos as well.
The LOM is located in the center console, behind the computer message display. It's pretty easy to find it. Once you remove the message center (no screws, just pull it off), it will be on the right side on the "wall". Unplug the connector, remove two screws, and take the LOM out. Open the black plastic box and you will see the circuit board. One of the pins close to the connector plug will have its solder melted. Solder it back and you're good to go. I bought an iron at radio shack for 7 buck and fixed the problem.
If your circuit board looks burnt, it may not work. You'll then have two options, either buy a new LOM or bypass it. Someone wrote on how to bypass it, you need to cut 4 wires and connect them. I haven't tried that path, so I don't know if it works or not. Do some search and you'll find the thread.

Good luck and let me know if you need more help.

PS: Anyone from the Sacramento area (California) that knows some off-road trails? I'm new here.

thanks for your quick response. i had seen these and noticed that in most cases this was talking about the driver side low beam light. mine is in fact the passenger side and the fog lamps. if you watch the video, it shows the wiring diagram and why the driver side may not work if you have a LOM problem, but it doesn't look like it affects the passenger side. i'm kind of new to this, but is there a chance i'm just over thinking it.

Yep, mine were the passenger side and the fog lamps too. The high beam worked fine in both sides, the low beam was not working on the passenger side. Both fog lamps were not working. If you pay attention to the wiring diagram, you'll see that another pin affects the passenger side and fog lamps.

I'm assuming that you checked the fuses, right? The passenger side and the fog lamps share the same fuse.

the fuses are good. great to see that this fixed your problem. i'll be popping the console loose soon and giving it a go. thanks again for your response. i'll let you know how it works out

that did the trick!!!

this fix does work for both drive side and passenger side low beam head lights.
it made the fog lights start working, too. now i need to go buy a lamp for my driver side fog lamp. haha.

thanks again for all of your help, this forum and these users are great.

Yep, mine were the passenger side and the fog lamps too. The high beam worked fine in both sides, the low beam was not working on the passenger side. Both fog lamps were not working. If you pay attention to the wiring diagram, you'll see that another pin affects the passenger side and fog lamps.

I'm assuming that you checked the fuses, right? The passenger side and the fog lamps share the same fuse.

I had the LOM issue last year with the drivers side lamp ( Pin 11), today I have the passenger side lamp and the fog lights out. I removed the LOM from the console and soldered Pin 13 and for good measure Pin 12. Lights are good to go and it was a 5 minute fix!;)

Any thing for a 2003 explorer sport? My left low.beam is out and I have no LOM

Been having pass side low beam light issues since bought explorer a couple of months ago. even before that family that I acquired had LOM issues I found out for close to 6 years. Learned about the LOM and also found out it is a hard part to come by new or used. Trying to find a spare is like a needle in a haystack.

So I opted to repair mine. found cracked solder and resoldered 3 of the pins and now all headlights work like a charm. high and low beams all the way around. Thanks again for the info. It has been a blessing

Back