Passenger side mirror, power issue... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side mirror, power issue...

Mark86

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hi all. Been lurking here for a little bit and got a lot of great info, but I've been searching and couldn't find this issue I'm having so I figured it was time to make a 1st post.

The vehicle in question is my fathers 2002 Explorer XLT. His passenger side mirror doesn't work. The switch appears to be working because the drivers side mirror moves fine, but once you switch the selector to the pax side, we get nothing. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check for cut wires in the rubber boot between the door and body. Others have had problems with the door locks and found cut cables in there. . .

check for cut wires in the rubber boot between the door and body. Others have had problems with the door locks and found cut cables in there. . .

I'll take a look, but the truck has been with us since mile number 1. The pax side mirror just stopped working a few months ago.

The wires are known for breaking. Don't feel like it was intentional. Many of us have had it happen.

lol. I'm sure jrford meant to say look for broken wires when he said cut wires.:D:D:D

lol. I'm sure jrford meant to say look for broken wires when he said cut wires.:D:D:D

ha ha ha ha , never even gave it a second thought. . . .:thumbsup:
yes i meant frayed, scraped off insulation, broken wires not sure what could be causing it, it might be hitting or rubbing against a sharp edge in the sheet metal.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I just ran into the same problem yesterday. 2002 Explorer XLT. Drivers side mirror works fine, passenger side stopped working. Puddle light OK, but no mirror response. Read lots of posts here. For now, I need to know if I should be checking for broken wires in the rubber sleeve in the drivers side door or the passenger side door, or both. There's a bunch of different color wires in there, and wondering also if anyone knows specifically what color wire controls the passenger side power mirror. I also pulled off the door panel and unplugged the power mirror plug, but there's a bunch of wires there, as well as a lot of unused holes. Any idea which color wire I can test at the plug itself to see if there's power going to it when I actuate the switch? I was hoping this would narrow down a broken wire vs. a bad switch.
Thanks,

Larry

Either post here or e-mail me at Larry.Barasch@cbmoves.com

Thanks.

Back