Passenger Window decides when and how it works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Window decides when and how it works

mcoleman80

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL and Hayward, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
The passenger window in my '96 XLT has been working very randomly for the past week. Almost all of the time the driver's side controls will be able to roll it both up and down, but it is random when the passenger side control will work.

I'm not sure where to start. With the switch in the passenger side door? With the wiring? Maybe the window child lock is bad?

Any ideas?

This also happened to me, it started like you have stated but it was on all doors. Drivers controls always worked. Then they went out completely for about a year and all the sudden started working again. Quit again and started again, right now they are. (knock on wood) IDK?

Sounds like it could be a broken wire somewhere. at different temperatures or different orientations of the wire it will close the break in the wire and things work normally, move the wire or get a large change in temperature and it will quit working. In electronics this is a common pain. it could also be the window controller (I am not sure of the actual name)

David

if its a two door, then its most likely the lockout switch at the driver's door. Posts have indicated that crud gets under the switch preventing it from "unlocking". It can be either cleaned or replaced... check it first for operation with a meter. If its a 4 door and the only window with a problem is the passenger window, then its a wiring issue and most likely in the driver's side door post and its gets opened the most and the wiring harness fatigues breaking wires in-side.

Back