PATS Interchange - Taurus, Mustang, Crown Vic, Mercury Sable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS Interchange - Taurus, Mustang, Crown Vic, Mercury Sable

White86Tercel

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0AWD
UPDATE I got my 1998 Explorer 5.0 AWD running with a the transceiver from a 1998 Mercury Sable 3.0 V6 DOHC (Duratrac) part number XL3T-15607-AC but the mercury transceiver doesn't fit quite as tightly as the stock transceiver so it's a little easier to remove / reinstall on an explorer.

I'm still curious to find out which other PATS transceivers / PATS modules work on 2nd gen explorers?
The following vehicles use PATS Function Type B and Key type 1 or Key Type 2
  1. 2000-2005 Excursion
  2. 1998-2001 Explorer (4-dr)
  3. 1998-2001 (before 7/24/00) Explorer Sport (2-dr)
  4. 1998-2001 (before 7/24/00) Explorer Sport Trac
  5. 1998 Mustang
  6. 1999-2000 Ranger (3.0L & 4.0L only)
  7. 1998-1999 Taurus (Duratec & SHO only)
  8. 1998-2002 Crown Victoria (some Crown Vic's use key type 1 and some use Key type 19)
  9. 1998-2001 Mountaineer (4-dr) - Key type 2.
  10. 1998-2002 Grand Marquis - Key type 2 or key type 20
  11. 1998-1999 Sable (Duratec only) - Key type 2 --> This transceiver worked on my explorer but the module might not due to PCM differences
Due to the generic nature of the transceiver, I am also curious to find out if transceivers work on 2nd gen explorers especially ones for PATS function type E.
  • 2nd gen explorer sports switched to PATS function type E on 7/24/2000 and this might just be a module + PCM change not a transceiver change.
  • Sport Tracs from 7/24/2000-2005 also switched to PATS function type E.
  • Many 2002-2005 Explorers, 2005-2007 escapes, 2004-2007 F-150s (except for the heritage edition), Ford Five Hundred, 200-2007 Focus, 2004-2007 Freestar, Many 2001-2006 Rangers, 2003-2005 Aviators, 2003-2006 Expeidtions/navigators, 2000-2005 Taurus and numerous other vehicles also use PATS function type E.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't help with the interchangeability question, but thought I'd share what I've seen on a couple '98's I've pulled parts from at the local U Pull. I own a '98 XLT 4-Dr SOHC and it has pt# F8SB-15607-AC transceiver in it. I pulled a complete strg column as a spare off another '98 and it has the F8SB-15607-AB transceiver on it. I also pulled a PCM, ignition lock cylinder (w/keys) and PATS module from yet another '98 XLT that I had confirmed had the identical options as mine. That ignition lock cylinder has pt# F8SB-15607-AC transceiver (same as on mine) on it. Not sure what the difference is between "AB" and "AC" suffix. Also, not sure where that dealer got the YW1Z-15607-BA part number; unless it supercedes the previous part numbers.

I could be wrong, but think the difference for key type 2 is only that it reads Mercury (or has mercury's mountain emblem molded into it) instead of Ford.

The first thing I'd do (if you haven't already) is check continuity of the wiring between the module and PCM, and that the wires don't have low resistance (shorting out due to pinch or frayed insulation broken) to chassis ground... with the exception that one of the wires (black/yellow-stripe?) may be a ground so could have low resistance to ground by design.

I noticed on a different part # with the 15607-AB in it, there is an amazon review stating it worked for a '98 explorer but the connector was different so had to rewire to original connector. I suspect it could be that situation with many of the key type 1 vehicles you listed, and best guess is a '98 to '01 Mountaineer is where to look next.

Amazon product ASIN B000NS1BXE
I do suspect that YW1Z supercedes other part #, is just the last fully compatible (plug 'n play with the right plug on it) part # Ford made for it.

I'm pretty sure the wiring is good and there aren't an Rangers or Mountaineer's nearby so I'm going to try a pats transceiver from a Mercury Sable...

Thanks for the heads-up on 15607-AB.

you will need to match the keys, the pats transceiver, and the ignition ring all together. i believe you can also program a key too. not to mention the door locks if you ant them all to match (up to you on that one)

you will need to match the keys, the pats transceiver, and the ignition ring all together. i believe you can also program a key too. not to mention the door locks if you ant them all to match (up to you on that one)
I'm hoping to get things going by replacing the ring + keeping the existing keys. That worked last time (when someone damaged the transceiver while trying to steal the vehicle).

I got my 1998 Explorer running with a the transceiver from a 1998 Mercury Sable 3.0 V6 DOHC (Duratrac) part number XL3T-15607-AC.

The mercury transceiver doesn't fit quite as tightly as the stock transceiver so it's a little easier to remove / reinstall.

Interesting...so, you were able to use your existing keys and just swapped the transceiver? When I was researching PATS, there was so much misinformation being thrown around as to how exactly all these PATS components interact with each other. Your success confirms that the keys don't have to be from the same donor vehicle as the transceiver. But, I believe the keys DO need to match with the control module? My remaining question is whether the control module must then match the PCM? Or, will a donor PCM accept the signal from the matched key/ control module once the key code has been confirmed?

^ The PCM stores the IDs of the keys that are programmed in. The transceiver is somewhat, "universal". If you have compatible keys, new keys can be programmed in.

There is nothing unique or programmed about the halo transceiver this topic is based upon. It's just a fancy TX/RX antenna that can be swapped at will with no programming or other requirements besides being compatible for the model year.

Makes sense. So, in theory a person could take a key cylinder w/keys, transceiver, control module and pcm from an identical donor vehicle and simply swap them and not have to worry about reprogramming anything? I pulled these parts as spares off an identical twin to my Explorer at the U Pull with this in mind...but, was never able to confirm if this would work.

If really identical I'd expect it to work, but there may be some differences still like rear axle ratio or IDK what else would matter. The conservative answer is the new PCM would be programmed with the build that the VIN dictates. Why would you swap all 3 though? If transceiver fails, no need to swap the keys/cylinder and PCM. If it didn't fail, no need to swap it.

Makes sense. So, in theory a person could take a key cylinder w/keys, transceiver, control module and pcm from an identical donor vehicle and simply swap them and not have to worry about reprogramming anything? I pulled these parts as spares off an identical twin to my Explorer at the U Pull with this in mind...but, was never able to confirm if this would work.
I have heard of PATS modules loosing their programming but I don't know how common that issue is on 2nd gen explorers.

If you run into issues with the module/PCM, you can always use a high-end scan tool to program new keys or a tuner to disable PATS (I have heard that all sniper tuners have an option to disable PATS and that there are tunes available for SCT tuners that disable PATS).

Either-way, I wouldn't bother the the module/pcm if the only problem is the transceiver.

I have a full spare set up I pulled from a '01 I scraped for the motor. PCM, PATS Module, keys, ignition tumbler, door locks and keypad. Everything worked when pulled.

I thought it would be good to have a full system as a spare.

That is kind of what I had in mind. The opportunity presented itself at the local U Pull during one of their 50% off sales and I thought maybe it would be a good idea to grab some spare parts...not knowing exactly what might be needed to get the Explorer back up and running should I lose the keys or some such thing. Pre-2001 Explorers arriving at my U Pull have really tapered off the past couple of years, so I have become a hoarder of spare parts.

Back