Solved - PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought the OBD link SX USB and used it with the Forscan software as described in this thread. Everything went perfect. I was able to erase all keys then program 3 keys. I Initially only programmed one key because I started the car (too anxious to see if it worked) but I was able to go back and program the other 2 keys after the 10 minute wait.

2 qty Strattec keys - eBay - $39.01
Keys cut from hi res photo - eBay - $5
OBD link SX USB - eBay - $31.97
3qty keyless remote fobs - eBay - $17.76
Less than 30 min programming total

Total cost - $93.74

How much would this have cost at the dealer?

OBDlink SX - Amazon (29.95) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2x Keyblanks - Amazon (5.75 each + $4 shipping) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OZQDUW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Keys cut a Walmart (3.80)

20 minutes time

IT WORKED!!!!
Total invested $49.25

Thank you to this forum

ETA : I only did the add key function, didn't erase keys as a precaution, but now have three working keys.

You got really lucky at Walmart, total B* at mine refused to cut any keys that are not theirs. Got it done at Lowes instead, free.

You only need to erase when the number of keys programmed exceeds the number of keys you have in your possession.

You got really lucky at Walmart, total B* at mine refused to cut any keys that are not theirs. Got it done at Lowes instead, free.

You only need to erase when the number of keys programmed exceeds the number of keys you have in your possession.
It does have one key programmed that I don't hold, but since I bought from a dealer, not private party, and it was out of state, I find it HIGHLY unlikely that a) the original still exists b) as there are 5 explorers on my street alone (one of which looks exactly identical) that someone would be able to find mine a few hundred miles away. I should note that the FORscan software did give me a "warning", saying that PATS reported success but number of keys did not increment. Also said to turn key off/on then recheck the menu. Sure enough, the number had increased.

The guy at the wal-mart counter didnt care, he just scanned a cheap blank key they had and charged me for that as far as cutting goes. If they gave me any crap I would have walked around, I have a family member that works there and would have gotten it done anyway, but he was cool, no complaints out of me.

Hello,

To Bizzs
To anyone for help
Sorry for my english..i don't understand everything...
Thanks for this website : great !!!!!

Actually, i have been stollen one of my two master keys.
I would like to have 2 master keys and 2 others keys (clones)- So i have to programmed to master key with the forscan
I bought this https://www.obdauto.fr/pack-interfa...-special-ford-logiciel-en-francais-forscan-1/

But i need help please :
1/ Is it possible to programm master key with forscan ?
2/ I 'm afraid : could be possible to erase all the key without have new programmed key so no way to drive the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3/ i connected my cable : forscan didn't recognize my explorer...
4/ wich windows version i have to download on forscan web site ?
5/ where can i buy blank key ?
6/ is anyone can help me with a details process the way to programm the keys ?

Thanks thanks thansk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Augustin

Hello,

To Bizzs
To anyone for help
Sorry for my english..i don't understand everything...
Thanks for this website : great !!!!!

Actually, i have been stollen one of my two master keys.
I would like to have 2 master keys and 2 others keys (clones)- So i have to programmed to master key with the forscan
I bought this https://www.obdauto.fr/pack-interfa...-special-ford-logiciel-en-francais-forscan-1/

But i need help please :
1/ Is it possible to programm master key with forscan ?
2/ I 'm afraid : could be possible to erase all the key without have new programmed key so no way to drive the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3/ i connected my cable : forscan didn't recognize my explorer...
4/ wich windows version i have to download on forscan web site ?
5/ where can i buy blank key ?
6/ is anyone can help me with a details process the way to programm the keys ?

Thanks thanks thansk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Augustin

1. Yes
2. I had one key and I erased it with forscan and reprogrammed the original and 3 others without any problems
3. Some of those knock off elms are not compatible with the explorer. Use the ones that Forscan identifies. I bought mine from amazon costing under 20.
4. Windows 7 and 8 worked for me
5. You can buy an OEM key from a Ford Dealer or Amazon. Amazon was fairly reasonable.
6. Download Forscan and email them for the keys to activate the key programming option.

Follow all the steps and you should be good to go saving your self about 300.00

Good luck,
bizzs

Bizzs : Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you have successfully programmed one key there must be at least two keys programmed to it for it to start.
@TechGuru
Old post, but applicable for my troubles now. I have not successfully programmed one key. I had two keys which came with the car from Ford, suspected PCM trouble, installed another PCM, then reinstalled the OEM PCM, and then only one of the original Ford keys would work. What gives, and what should I do? Why did this happen? Any help greatly appreciated. imp

I only had one key originally. I bought 2 more and was able to program them with Forscan. I did end up reprogramming all 3 though.

@TechGuru
Old post, but applicable for my troubles now. I have not successfully programmed one key. I had two keys which came with the car from Ford, suspected PCM trouble, installed another PCM, then reinstalled the OEM PCM, and then only one of the original Ford keys would work. What gives, and what should I do? Why did this happen? Any help greatly appreciated. imp

original key works? is the other store or internet bought? some of the keys have small batteries. what does forscan say when you try to program it?

original key works? is the other store or internet bought? some of the keys have small batteries. what does forscan say when you try to program it?
@Harpua216
I switched PCMs, had 2 new keys came with the replacement PCM. Took it out, put original PCM which came new with the truck OEM, then only one of the original Ford keys works. Still have only one key working. Do not have Forscan, not sure I could figure out how to use it. imp

@imp Only other way i can think of is a locksmith righting those keys. when i priced it, it was 65$ and didnt include key. you have the keys so call around, only some have the right programmer.

@imp my opinion would be to keep calling. like i said, only some have the programmer. i think you need some certification for it is why.
i wouldnt mind giving it a shot looking for you if you wanted to message me your general location.

@imp PATS in ForScan is not hard, the program literally walks you though the process.
@TechGuru
Thanks! Have only one working key, and fear "losing" it as mentioned in thread, then stuck with a no-run vehicle. imp

@TechGuru
Thanks! Have only one working key, and fear "losing" it as mentioned in thread, then stuck with a no-run vehicle. imp

Well first you add without clearing to be sure your new one works. Then you do a clear all then reprogram the two you have.

My Exp came with 2 keys but ForScan showed 3 programmed, not wanting someone out there to have a working key I did a clear all then reprogrammed the two I have.

Back