PCM and Keys Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCM and Keys Issue

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
PCM suspected, I ordered a new one, which came with 2 "pre-programmed" (PATS) keys. Had teeth cut by locksmith duplicating my oiriginal keys. Installed replacement PCM, inserted key, PATS indicator winked properly, started engine. Other key won't start engine. The explanation which came with the PCM for programming, I did not follow. Stupid me. PCM was not the issue after all.

OK, not wanting to have only one key, I put the original PCM back in, had the 2 original Ford keys we had always used, 2 of them, started engine normally. Other key WILL NOT start engine! WTH did I do wrong??
imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use ForScan and wipe and program PATS from scratch.
@TechGuru
Thank you. But I cannot understand how removing a PCM which works with 2 keys, then putting it back, battery was disconnected during the work, why only one key worked? imp

I believe the PCM and Security module are now no longer in sync.
@TechGuru
IOW, installing a different PCM fouled up the match between the Security Module and PCM? I figured something like that. imp

Imp you are having quite a time with all those modules!

are they both Strattec Ford keys?

@Harpua216
They are embossed with the Ford logo, is all I can say about them. imp

i would say they are close to OEM. some of the bad ones have batteries in them and parts that go bad. i had to buy two keys, only the one from the dealer programmed first. i could not program the knockoff first, but only 2nd. the first one i bought didnt even work at all. food for thought i guess

i would say they are close to OEM. some of the bad ones have batteries in them and parts that go bad. i had to buy two keys, only the one from the dealer programmed first. i could not program the knockoff first, but only 2nd. the first one i bought didnt even work at all. food for thought i guess
@Harpua216
Thanks for info. imp

Back