PCM Key reprogramming tool 2006 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCM Key reprogramming tool 2006 ford explorer

andres666

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am about to get my PCM replaced and i was wondering if anyone has been able to reprogram their keys to the new PCM without having to get an auto locksmith to do the reprogramming for you. If you have could you tell me what tool you used and where to buy it?

Up by me they are charging $175 and up to have my keys reprogrammed to the new PCM. I support capitalism but these prices are just crazy in my opinion.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am about to get my PCM replaced and i was wondering if anyone has been able to reprogram their keys to the new PCM without having to get an auto locksmith to do the reprogramming for you. If you have could you tell me what tool you used and where to buy it?

Up by me they are charging $175 and up to have my keys reprogrammed to the new PCM. I support capitalism but these prices are just crazy in my opinion.
if you have 2 existing keys you can program in forscan. any elm adapter will work w forscan. that being said not sure how that works on a fresh pcm

If there are no keys stored at all, I believe you can program the keys without having the required two.

Otherwise, you can program them with FORScan, a laptop, and a wired dongle.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

If it´s an new or remanufactured PCM you most likely will need to flash the PCM at the dealer or at a shop that has the Ford software. If you took the PCM from another truck you need to program your Vin#. I´m no sure if you can do that with Forscan. Either options won´t have your keys programed, you could do that with Forscan but because you either need to flash the software, your Vin# or both, you are better off just doing everything with the dealer or shop of your choice.
When I had a 2010 Exp I had to replace the PCM and the place I bought it from programed it to the latest software + Vin#. The keys I had to program them with a locksmith, at the time I didn´t know about forscan.

Back