2006 Ford Explorer 6R60 tranny bump when stopping. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford Explorer 6R60 tranny bump when stopping.

Skywise

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 4.6L V8 Eddie Bauer
Hi everyone. Brian here with my first post. I've already found this place useful. Now I need some advice.

Sorry this is lengthy. Just trying to provide all possibly relevant details. Forgive me if I over do it.

Vehicle:
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
4.6L V8
6R60 Transmission
Approaching 138k miles

About me:
I have a background in electronics and currently refurbish computers for a living. I understand good diagnostic and analysis procedures. I have done basic repair work on vehicles for years, both car and motorcycle.

Further, I have the factory manuals for this vehicle, both engine/body and full wiring diagrams. I purchased these to address other issues as detailed below.

It's OK to use the big technical words.

Issue:
Problem is a 'bump' when coming to a creeping stop at low speeds. Hard stops from speed exhibit no symptom.

Background:
About 3 months ago the radiator went bad, mixing coolant with transmission fluid - strawberry milkshake. Looked into rebuilding at first but instead was replaced with pre-owned. Said it would cost more than the $1800 for the used tranny just in parts alone to rebuild existing tranny. Work done by AAMCO.

Out of the shop experienced hard shifts and bad shift points. Also, hard double thump when stopping. I thought I was rear ended at first. Took it back in and was assured this would improve as the TCM needs to relearn the shift points. I understand this. Read it in the manual.

Time has passed and the tranny has improved tremendously. Shifts like a dream. Except....

Still experiencing mild bump when stopping during a creeping stop. Harder stops exhibit no symptoms.

References:
Searching I discovered on this forum multiple mentions of a TSB related to this exact issue with this exact make/model/tranny. Solution is updating PCM and TCM software. TSB 07-23-2.

see:

Current situation:
I just took it back to AAMCO just a few days shy of the 3 month warranty on the used tranny, along with a copy of the TSB. Could not duplicate issue, even with me driving (they tried first). I asked if they did anything and got no reply. On the drive to the shop I could repeatedly duplicate the issue. Driving home it might have done it once or twice, barely noticeable.

They asked if I've disconnected the battery. Not since the work done. They say doing so resets the computer and it has to relearn all over again. I've done that many times before the tranny replacement for other work I did, such as replacing the alternator, and experienced no issues.

AAMCO says they could do PCM/TCM update, but it costs (ie not warranty). I inquired about when TCM was reprogrammed during replacement, was it up to date? Said they have an outside guy come in to do that stuff. (ehhhh? A transmission shop outsources transmission work? Even the tranny re-builder was outsourced. But I digress.)

They pointed out I have trouble codes, which I am already aware. I have been having fault codes related to the entire heated O2 sensor system which I have deduced is a wiring issue. The odds of all four O2 sensors going bad at once is minuscule. And it is intermittent. (NOTE: This issue existed before the tranny replacement.) Mechanic tried to suggest it may cause the issue. Issue may be due to water ingress to wiring harness from the windshield cowl area, apparently a known issue. So far, I have deduced the likely culprit is a wiring splice on the hot side common to all the sensors. I have also had water get into one of the rearmost spark plug wells which caused misfires. I've taken measures to prevent further occurrence.

I also have a power inverter, which the mechanic said could cause a load sufficient to cause computer problems. I've had this inverter long before the tranny work with no issue, other than occasionally accidentally draining the battery. Jump start and everything is fine. Never had any tranny problems. A couple years ago I added a load monitor to measure how many amps I pull, and how many amp/hours drawn so it's been a long time since I've needed a jump. Certainly not since the tranny replacement. Besides, typical load is 2-5 amps, peak 15. Wiring rated for 40. Fused for 35. Mechanic says that if, for example, driving full open throttle, transmission needs more current to operate and inverter may prevent that. (I drive like a grandma, it's a V8, gas is expensive)

In the interest of full disclosure, I have also had a problem with the A/C clutch engaging when the climate control system is off. This bogs the engine down as it's not expecting the extra load from the AC compressor and doesn't adjust accordingly. I have firmly traced that to a wiring issue as only disconnecting at the clutch itself provides relief. Pulling the clutch relay and diode didn't prevent the clutch intermittently engaging.

I also have the symptom that my climate system blower motor only runs on high. Diagnosis points to a bad blower motor control module. Disconnected for now. Open windows it is.

Again, I want to emphasize, all these other issues were present for long before the transmission replacement and I experienced NO problems with the performance of the original transmission. It's been difficult for me to address these issues as I cannot afford to have the work done, and though I'm not incapable of doing it myself when I have the time, that has also been in short supply. Plus, many of the problems are intermittent and hard to catch "in the act", which any tech of any kind knows makes a precise diagnosis very difficult. It's taken me this long just to get to where I'm at now.

Specific questions:
Can any of these issues cause the transmission to misbehave in the way described? As suggested by AAMCO?
> Disconnecting battery.
> HO2 sensor problems.
> Power inverter use.
> A/C clutch wiring.

The TSB describes my issue exactly, including additional symptoms I was beginning to suspect.

The ONLY thing I can see that all this has to do with the transmission performance is possibly yet another wiring issue. However, I find that unlikely or highly coincidental as, again, all these issues existed before the transmission replacement and I experienced no transmission issues before replacement.

Any other ideas? Or am I on the right track?

If you got this far, thank you!!

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am going to just address the transmission issues. First thing i would check is the fluid level. The 6R60/80 transmissions can exhibit issues if the fluid level is low and/or old and needs replaced. Also, most here use only Motorcraft Mercron LV transmission fluid and not off brands. Ask them what brand of fluid that was used. My guess is it was the cheapest available. You might want to do a pan drop and refill with OEM to get around half the fluid being Motorcraft. Second would be to check if the right PCM TCM software is being used. I would only trust a Ford dealer to assess this and flash it if necessary. There are minor changes to these transmissions over the years and the odds are the model year of the transmission they installed is newer than your model. Since yours is the first year of the 4th gen models it has the oldest software and is out of date for the newer transmission that was likely installed.

The above said, there are seemingly unrelated items that can cause issues with the transmission function in the V8 4th gens. One is a bad coil on passenger side that affects the communication between the transmission and the PCM by interjecting electronic interference where the wiring harness runs near these coils. I don't think this is your issue but it illustrates how seemingly unrelated components can impact transmission function with the V8 4th gens.

I am going to just address the transmission issues. First thing i would check is the fluid level. The 6R60/80 transmissions can exhibit issues if the fluid level is low and/or old and needs replaced. Also, most here use only Motorcraft Mercron LV transmission fluid and not off brands. Ask them what brand of fluid that was used. My guess is it was the cheapest available. You might want to do a pan drop and refill with OEM to get around half the fluid being Motorcraft. Second would be to check if the right PCM TCM software is being used. I would only trust a Ford dealer to assess this and flash it if necessary. There are minor changes to these transmissions over the years and the odds are the model year of the transmission they installed is newer than your model. Since yours is the first year of the 4th gen models it has the oldest software and is out of date for the newer transmission that was likely installed.

The above said, there are seemingly unrelated items that can cause issues with the transmission function in the V8 4th gens. One is a bad coil on passenger side that affects the communication between the transmission and the PCM by interjecting electronic interference where the wiring harness runs near these coils. I don't think this is your issue but it illustrates how seemingly unrelated components can impact transmission function with the V8 4th gens.
^^^^^^agree with eddie here. that said, at least on 2g sohc, it did this when had a vac leak (it was kind of bad, in neutral it would hit 1.5k at times) since it seemed to be under load, yet no load was commanded, so i think it confused the tranny logic so at about 10 mph it would make a click and bump shift slightly. not sure its entirely related though

Well,the stop bump problem is 100 percent solved if the TSB performed exactly as explained.step by step.

You can easily get this TSB calibration performed by yourself using forscan.

The only difference between IDS and Forscan command it is the KAM and the adaptive tables got erased by the same function in forscan,nor the two separated IDS actions.

The only thing you will need from the dealer it is the updated software thru Ford Oasis portal

Well,the stop bump problem is 100 percent solved if the TSB performed exactly as explained.step by step.

You can easily get this TSB calibration performed by yourself using forscan.

The only difference between IDS and Forscan command it is the KAM and the adaptive tables got erased by the same function in forscan,nor the two separated IDS actions.

The only thing you will need from the dealer it is the updated software thru Ford Oasis portal

Do you have the title of the TSB. I just bought a 2010 4.6 w/ 132k $3500 (you responded to my thread "should sell by 97 5.0 AWD and buy the 2010" which I did). The battery was drained completely few times (before I bought) cuz key was stuck and vehicle kept making chiming noise even after door was closed. Mine also has what feels like a transmission thunk when stopping slowly...

Back