• Register Today It's free!

PCM Replacement question???

prozachappy

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer...sportster
Okay..so I was down pulling some 4-door leafs from an X at a local junkyard. It was a '93' and in amazing shape! Garaged and driven by old lady. Anyway, I pulled the PCM and the ICM along with some other stuff. I've been chasing some hesitation issues...and a 542 open cir/ground code for some time now. Have eliminated fuel pump, fuel pump relay, inertia switch, and checked my grounds. My next step was to replace the PCM, so I just grabbed the one while I was at the yard. My question is will this PCM (and ICM for that matter) work on my '94' sport??? Or will there be program issues...since mine's a 2dr manual and this was a 4dr automatic??? 4wd vs 2wd also? Or are all the PCM's on the first gen's gonna be set the same?
Thanks, Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think you are gonna have to have it flashed because of the auto/manual

Is that just a re-program? If so, can it be programed to include mods like kkm, high flo cat, gear setup, tires..etc??? Is having it flashed something only the dealer can do..or a high performance place?
Thanks for the info! J...

ya a reprogram although the only place i know of is ford. i would recomend apten although i do not know what is going on with them right now

I have a five speed 4X4 PCM laying on the shelf. make an offer if you want it.

curtis

Thanks for the info!
and Curtis thanks for the offer...since I have this one already, I'm gonna do some checkin around and see how much it is to have it flashed...maybe they can re-program it to incorporate my intake, exhaust, gear set-up and such.
Jason

Having that '93 PCM work will depend a lot on whether the '93 it came off of used an EGR system or not. '93 appears to be the year when several changes were made to the 4.0 engine management (addition of an EGR system and a 2nd O2 sensor amongst others.).
And I've always been of the impression that EEC-IV can't be "reflashed" in the same way that EEC-V can. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
In diagnosing your 542, have you checked for voltage drop across the wires connecting all those components you've replaced. I would expect a 542 to be a bad wire before a bad computer. Does the engine run? That would narrow the bad circuit to the monitoring wire between the relay and the PCM.

At first, I didn't assume the PCM either. Only after checking fuel system, replacing my relays and checking my grounds did I start to think maybe bad computer. I did probe all my wires for power...but that was it. I kept thinking it has to be a ground short somewhere! but where? Since my hesitation/power issues were intermitant (seemed more so when engine was HOT), I began to think maybe the ground issue was only when engine was hot..or..intermitant at the least. Well, I had one other thought..that was to yank the original neg. battery cable and replace it. Did this yesterday...and right away notice my int. lights were brighter and my speakers seemed louder. Well I've driven it about 75 miles today..no hesitation...and scanners showing no codes!!! I'll give it a day or two, see if it trips the 542 again...but hopefully old cables was where my ground short was coming from.
As far as the PCM goes...Ford tells me they could flash it for me only if it where from another manual. Something with the programs...you can only switch auto for auto or manual for manual. So if anyone needs/wants a extra PCM for 1st gen automatic let me know.

Back