PCV valve location 04 explorer XLT 4.0 v6 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCV valve location 04 explorer XLT 4.0 v6 SOHC

princesskari418

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer V6 4.0
I have rough idle. came up with EGR valve code and misfire cylinder 4. We replaced the EGR and putting new wires and plugs in now. There wasn't any new codes once the EGR was changed out but figured wires and plugs wouldn't hurt. Did tuneup a few months ago when the idle started acting up. Most of the threads say to check the PCV valve and hoses and WE CAN'T FIND IT! I swear no one has the same engine. All of the pics i've seen of the PCV valve location for the same year and make looks nothing like what I have. My truck was manufactured 10/2003 and the engine says 2003 but my truck is 2004. I have looked up the location for both years and nothing looks the same. Can anyone help me? We have looked in every possible location that is described in all of the threads and pictures and can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found it! the hose starts on the top/right (standing in front of the car) side of the air intake and the hose runs down behind it to the pcv valve which has wiring attached to it and yes it's bad! the seal is gone. advance auto has it for $45

Hello,
This has been driving me nuts also. So, is where you describe on the drivers side?

question

how did you end up finding the pcv valve , do you have to do it blind? do you have to take the plastic wheel well cover off? I was quoted around 600 bucks to change it out and was going to see if I could pull it off myself.

thanks

My 04 explorer cuts off when I am sitting still after I've been driving for a minute not long though but it starts right back up. Could that be from the pcv valve?

Back