Performance Chip for 4.0 V6 -- Worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Performance Chip for 4.0 V6 -- Worth it?

D-OveRMinD

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport 4x4
I am thinking about putting a performance chip in my 2000 4x4 Explorer Sport and I am wondering if it's really worth it. Will I get a worthwhile gain in pep/performance? Which chip should I go with? Which one's should I avoid. What should I look for when making this decision.

I just put a K&N filter in yesterday and that was my first step towards a total mod. Next the chip, then the exhaust, then the lift and tires...finances permitting...

Let a newbie know what to get and from whom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered a Superchip from RangerForum, it was on Sale for $200, but everyone i've heard its a pretty good mod. Do you have the sohc or the ohv? Either case you'll need to run premium, but supposedly the truck seems to get up and move a bit more...

You didn't say if you had the ohv or the sohc. I would recommend against the chip on the sohc. The sohc is already in a fairly high state of tune for a factory V6. Chips will require the use of premium gas and sometimes a lower temp thermostat. Most people experience better results with their chips if they have an after market exhaust system. Something to keep in mind is that these mods will often increase the noise of your vehicle, drop your gas mileage, and can cause you major problems with the dealership if your truck is still under warranty and has engine problems. That being said, it can be a lot of fun to mod your truck. You will notice acceleration gains with a chip/exhaust/intake setup but the noise/warranty/long term reliability questions need to be considered. Alas, no free lunch. I have seen many posts on this forum warning against chips from JET industries. Search around the sight and you will find chip reviews that vary from being the best thing since sliced bread to people removing them in disgust. Good luck

I put a superchip on my SOHC and it really improved shifting.

Well, I have the SOHC first of all. I really REALLY hate the way this thing shifts...all a the wrong timings. I was thinking about putting in a Borla exhaust first and then doing the chip thing. It just feals really sluggish at times and the accelleration is mushy and non-consistent. I don't know...guess I am just used to my old '99 F-250...

The chip makes my truck shift at better times and the shifts are much faster and firmer. It will also down shift if you floor it... something it didnt do stock.

Back