Phantom Windows going down with remote | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Phantom Windows going down with remote

ckc123

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
a weird problem has started in the last 3 days with the 2 front windows rolling down "on their own".

before anyone says it.. YES I KNOW THIS IS A FEATURE OF THE REMOTE.. if you hold down the unlock button. and yes I know you can enable/disable in the settings.. (please read on)

However. this seems to be happening randomly.

of the last 4 times I have gone out to the explorer, the front windows have been down.

First time: chalked it up to having my keys in my bag and something pressing on it
Second time: thought .. ok keys were in pocket, but that has never happened in the last 2 years of having them in my pocket.
Third time: I knew they were left out on the desk to prevent any accidental pressing of the buttons.

I've taken the remote apart and:

1) changed the batteries
2) checked that the buttons on the case are still "normal" (not broken, mis alligned, bent in etc)
3) made sure the unlock button is still functioning "as normal" (and a distinct "click" when pressed, and has same resistance to being pressed as the lock button
4) cleaned the silicon cover over the board.

temporarily I've disabled it on the console settings to make sure they do not go down in the rain, or I get something stolen.. I will re-enable once I can do a controlled test.

has anyone seen this before??

I think I read one other report about this. After reading your post I'm starting to wonder if it really is an issue with the key fob. Are the doors locked when this happens?
The Global Open feature is only active for a short time after you unlock the doors, as per the Manual.
You can open the windows for a short time
after you unlock your vehicle with the
remote control. After you unlock your
vehicle, press and hold the remote control
unlock button to open the windows.

Remember that you have 2 key fobs. If this happens now on a regular basis, you can easily rule out the fobs (remotes) by wrapping them in aluminum foil. Like I mentioned, I don't they are the issue. I have only used the feature a couple times, mainly just to test it, and seems to me that you have to keep the remote's button pressed for an extended period of time to get the feature to start working.

Peter

The doors were still locked (and mirrors folded) when I went out to the vehicle later (maybe the auto relock kicked in by then? I have it set to relock)

I can try swapping out the keyfobs and use the other as a daily use one to see if it happens/goes away

One interesting fact now that you mention is (as I was reading an article about key fob spoofing)..

I did notice that twice when it did happen, I had a problem with the vehicle responding to the key fob after the windows were down.. I have to go back and forth between lock/unlock to get it to respond..

maybe was the keyfob rolling over the code to many times and being out of sync with the vehicle, and once I pressed the opposite button (lock) it resynced??

You can try the other key fob but as I said, I don't think that is your issue. Would appreciate if you would keep us updated. I don't mind being proven wrong.;)
Thanks.

Peter

Back