• Register Today It's free!

picking up a 96 ranger 3.0 auto

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
today i just bought a 96 ranger for 600 with 237k miles. been sitting for a year and a half. runs but has a check engine light on has a lite miss. im picking it up tomorrow. is there anything i should know about the 3.0s and the auto trans. its a 2wd. thanks

p1000400e.jpg

I have a 94 reg cab 3.0 auto with 218,000 on the clock. As long ass you are not looking for a power house if it has been taken care of you should be fine. I got mine off my father with 105,000 on it and I have only had the check engine light come on one time, my fault, I broke a hard vacuum line. I love mine as long as it is still running I will keep driving it. When it quits Im making room for a 5.0

I constantly argue with my nephews (the "mechanics") over what they don't do first with a missing vehicle. they want to pull off the plug wires, etc, to "see" which cylinder is missing. I've seen them wast hours chasing a miss that turns out to be a valve not seating. Check the compression; it was mandatory when I was a VW mechanic.
I've seen several 3.0 fords have valve problems if they sit for a long time. The 3'0 engine tends to crack cylinder heads in the Taurus vehicles, but I've always suspected a water flow problem is the cause when they turned the engine sideways...;)

J...retired & lovin' it.

Back