pics of ignition lock cylinder pin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pics of ignition lock cylinder pin

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Does anyone have any real good pics of the '94 xlt ignition lock cylinder pin? I can't find it, and my cylinder is busted, needs replaced. I managed to replace the one on my '91 that I had, but I cannot for the life of me find the pin.
I removed the upper and lower shroud....do I need to take off the middle plastic shroud that is attached to the steering wheel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a few pix of the lock cylinder: I don't see a pin anywhere.....

DSCN0043.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

You will need to take the steering wheel off. At least I had to to access the hole on 2 94's. Unless there's another way I don't know about.

Here's the procedure from factory manual. This assumes you can move the cylinder to the on position. If not, there is another procedure involving hammers and chisels. I am going on the hope that you can turn yours to on.

1. Disconnect ground cable from battery.
2 Remove steering wheel.
3. Remove upper and lower shrouds
4. Turn key to 'On'.
5. Push on retaining pin as described above, and pull cylinder from housing.
6. Disconnect wires from cylinder.

It says in another section to tilt the steering column up. Maybe this uncover the retaining pin.

I've tilted my steering wheel up, and still can't find it. SOOO, I guess I'm gonna have to remove the steering wheel bah. Yeah, i can turn the cylinder, its just not easy lol. Thanks guys.

Good deal. Yeah, the lost key version of this is really dicey. You have to drill out such and such, chisel off this thing, drill out the cylinder core, mess with some gears inside.

There is a lesson to be learned in advance: If anyone ever starts having trouble turning their ignition lock, it is a huge deal if you wait until it doesn't turn anymore.

If you have a tilt wheel, you don't need to remove the steering wheel.
the hole is there, very small hole and use a small bent paper clip without removing the steering wheel.
Marv

I cannot find the pin hole when the tilt is up all the way....the steering wheel and the round shroud are both in the way.

What is the correct procedure for removing the steering wheel? I do NOT see any pinhole when tilt is all the way up, even with the key to the run position, there's too much crap in the way. Nothing underneath, nothing on top.

Nevermind, I got it :) I had to tilt the wheel all the way DOWN to see it lol.

94 Explorer Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal

You will need to take the steering wheel off. At least I had to to access the hole on 2 94's. Unless there's another way I don't know about.

You don't need to take the steering wheel off. Just tilt the wheel all the way up and stick a coat hanger up from the bottom inside the 3/8 " dia tunnel in the casting that angles up toward the cylinder. I could even really see the hole but just turned the ignition switch key to run, stuck the hanger up that channel and pulled on the lock cylinder, out it came.

I am trying to replace the ignition lock cylinder on my '94 Explorer. I have tilted the wheel all the way and all the way down, no access holes to release it. Mine is a manual transmission, and the cylinder is located in the top half of the steering column. The cylinder appears to be completely encased in the casting with no access whatsoever. Does anyone have any other ideas?

There IS access...it's just somewhat hidden. Here is a thread on the subject. It helped me a couple of weeks ago when I replaced my cylinder:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197697

Scroll down to post #15 to see the best pictures for locating where you need to be.

The pictures are good for locating the access hole to release the cylinder, but I found that if I used a small pair of vice grips holding a 1/8 inch drill bit at a 90 degree angle to the vice grip handles, you can get to the release pin better. I tried an 11/16" bit first, but it was too big. I suspect the troubles that were discussed in the link were due to tooling that was too big.

See the last post in that link for my added comments.

Awood, I checked the photos in the other thread, and it was exactly like mine down to the manual transmission. I tilted the steering wheel up as far as it would go, tried to insert a drill bit in the end of the access tube, and hit solid metal. I took my own photos to illustrate what I tried, but I can't paste them here, and the "insert image" button requires a URL to insert images. I'll try to describe as best I can.

The access tube angles down into a rectangular block. The end of the block can be seen after tilting the steering wheel all the way up. I felt the end of the block where the tube terminates and felt nothing but solid metal. I pushed the collar around the steering column up and tried to insert a drill bit with vice-grip pliers as you suggested, but found nothing but solid metal. There is a hole in the bottom of this rectangular block, but it just goes through to the top of the casting.

Hmmm, the only thing more I can suggest is that when I did mine, I never saw the hole. I did it by feel. As I remember, the key had to be in the "Run" position, insert the drill bit (at first I didn't think I could get the right angle, but with the L-shape of the vise grip and drill bit I could sort-of roll the drill bit into the right place - but it was a tight fit behind the plastic trim (ring) just behind the steering wheel), then push in firmly while wiggling the cylinder a little. It popped right out.

...not sure how else to explain it. Good luck.

I ended up taking it to a mechanic and having it done. He didn't charge me anything though, I guess since I had the steering column cover off and put it back on myself when I got home! Thank you very much for trying, Awood, I really appreciate it.

Back