Pillars badly scratched | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pillars badly scratched

It is very soft. I would recommend anyone who really hates it to just purchase new pillar covers and then having them wrapped in something like Xpel Ultimate, 3M Clear Bra, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is an old thread. Too bad we didn't hear back from the Opti -Coat user.

When I took delivery of my ordered vehicle, I too saw the swirls on the black trims. The plastic must be really soft. The worst areas will be the two on the lift gate as the rear of vehicle gets dirty really fast. I use the two bucket with grit guard technique when I wash mines and it helps with less grit getting on the wash mitts. Haven't looked at products for swirl removal yet. Check with P&S Sales, they sell products for dealers and body shops in California. Post back on what you used.

Guess you finally took delivery of your Platinum#2 and got your incentives just in time.

Yes. Took delivery Friday evening. I'll give a full report when I have more time.

AutoGeek.net, welcome to addiction lol

I use Meguiars Ultimate Compound followed by Collinite 845 wax. I have the glossy pillars on my F150 and that combo works wonders. I didnt seem to notice if my '16 glossy pillars need attention.

AutoGeek.net, welcome to addiction lol

I love autogeek! They have some very nice Cobra cross groove 6" pads I use for my DA polisher.

UMMM, treat them like the metal body panels and polish them, if the marks are deep but not deep enough to have a finger nail stick in the scratch, wet sand and polish them, if they are deeply scratched or tired of taking care of them have them scuffed and clear coated or paint them body color. If you aren't sure what any of this means take the vehicle a professional detailer first and they can advise you how to proceed. :)

UMMM, treat them like the metal body panels and polish them, if the marks are deep but not deep enough to have a finger nail stick in the scratch, wet sand and polish them, if they are deeply scratched or tired of taking care of them have them scuffed and clear coated or paint them body color. If you aren't sure what any of this means take the vehicle a professional detailer first and they can advise you how to proceed. :)

They are micro scratches in the highly polished black plastic. Sand paper would distroy them. Anybody try something like Mcguire's plastic polish? Plexus wasn't any help.

They are micro scratches in the highly polished black plastic. Sand paper would distroy them. Anybody try something like Mcguire's plastic polish? Plexus wasn't any help.

I have already posted what I use, and it works.

This video shows a great method of doing it if you have some professional detailing tools available.

Just about anything calling itself "polish" is going to be too abrasive and leave it hazy. Like anything you'd polish, you might have to start out with a coarser grit but take it real easy doing so, try a finer grit first and more elbow grease if certain scratches need it.

You might laugh but use common toothpaste on a fine microfiber cloth, not the type of microfiber with the fibers sticking out but rather the flat type used for camera lenses, eyewear, etc.

None of that gettin' in a hurry with a power tool, rather slow, light pressure, and always wet toothpaste. Do not let it dry and then wipe it off, rinse off wet after final passes in the same direction, not orbital.

If you want to slow down the scratches coming back, put wax on it but not those water based synthetic formulas that dry if you don't wipe them off quick enough, rather a natural oil, beeswax, etc product and again using a clean fiberless microfiber cloth, not the same one that now has toothpaste grit embedded in it.

This is about as good as it gets, because you can't keep getting new trim pieces every other time it's washed. I really wish Ford had gone with HAIII black anodized aluminum for this, but get why they did it, wanted it to look like the black glass areas to increase the floating yacht roof look.

Back