Rear middle fascia got scratched, need suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear middle fascia got scratched, need suggestions

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Can independent Ford dealerships mark up their prices on parts? I went into the top East coast dealership a few days ago because my rear middle fascia, about a foot long got scratched. I gave them my VIN and the part was ordered cost $95.70. I came to pick up the part today and took it out of the package to put it on my 16XP sport and it did not come with the absolute black clear coat on it. I went back inside and parts managers tell me that they all come like that and that I will need to find a shop to match the clear coat black that XP 16 sport has. They charged me an additional $85 to paint it. A total of $170 for a plastic part, the one that hides the hitch in the middle.
I just logged in Ford Parts and I see that XP Sport does offer, Link - http://accessories.ford.com/catalog/product/view/id/11327/s/cover/category/154/ a rear fascia absolute black for XP sport edition for only $85 bucks delivered to my home.
They were quick to tell me to submit my payment before they contract their auto body shop and I did. But is there some position that I can talk to someone about my situation. I know an extra $90 bucks is not too much, but I am just asking because in the future if I needed something for 1K or 2K, I don't want to be overcharged double the amount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to guess a lot of parts don't come painted and there is a charge to paint them. This goes for any car company.

I'm going to guess a lot of parts don't come painted and there is a charge to paint them. This goes for any car company.

If you look at the link that I posted you will see that it says "Finished with a durable Absolute Black clearcoat". That's the link from official Ford accessories.

interesting... I missed that.

I nicked the hitch cover on my '16 Platinum, I ordered the entire rear fascia, including the hitch cover and mounting rivets for $86 shipped. It came painted to match. I just took the old hitch cover off and put the new one from the kit on. Perfect match.

I nicked the hitch cover on my '16 Platinum, I ordered the entire rear fascia, including the hitch cover and mounting rivets for $86 shipped. It came painted to match. I just took the old hitch cover off and put the new one from the kit on. Perfect match.

Parts manager told me that there are 3 plastic parts that cover the hitch and stretch out all the way to the left and right side, he said that the biggest plastic piece was $600 or something. Did you order your part from official Ford part store? Its been such a hassle for me.

That is a bunch of BS!! Mine was scratched when I picked it up with some bogus touch-up on it so somebody knew they messed it up. I missed it when I picked it up because it started raining and that was the last part I got too. I was really looking at the body paint. Anyway, I brought back 2 days later after I washed it and they said that they would order the part. That was December and they have not called me back. I am going to go up there this weekend and see what the deal is. I'll bring this link with me.

Google for part # GB5Z-17K835-EA. Some of the sites will show a photo of the item. This is for the Platinum trim.
You can get the same for the Sport trim in gloss black for the same price,
part # GB5Z-17K835-DA.

I bought from Banner Automotive through our favorite auction site.

uhm - did you check the part the dealer shop actually ordered and handed to you?

I bet it wasn't the right number in the package and they sent a plain bare piece to be matched to either paint code.

now that I think about it I don't really know what mine is - but I have an XLT so it's probably base grey.

anywho give it back to them, get your refund and order that accessory part if that's what you're looking for. it might take a week to get but that's still 90 dollars.

also it doesn't sound like the durable black clearcoat is all that durable.

Parts manager told me that there are 3 plastic parts that cover the hitch and stretch out all the way to the left and right side, he said that the biggest plastic piece was $600 or something. Did you order your part from official Ford part store? Its been such a hassle for me.
Why not contact Benny, one of our site vendors, at LevittownFordSuperCenter and get a price/details from him?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=196402

Peter

That is a bunch of BS!! Mine was scratched when I picked it up with some bogus touch-up on it so somebody knew they messed it up. I missed it when I picked it up because it started raining and that was the last part I got too. I was really looking at the body paint. Anyway, I brought back 2 days later after I washed it and they said that they would order the part. That was December and they have not called me back. I am going to go up there this weekend and see what the deal is. I'll bring this link with me.

i think that they are uneducated. It clearly says on the website with a link. http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2016/exterior.html. Each trim comes with a painted fascia.
They said, "its an accessory that comes when you want to install a trailer hitch, it's not your part. Recommended when installing a Ford accessory trailer hitch.
I said, but I already have a trailer hitch installed, lol, I just need the middle cover. I told them to look at the website and the pictures clearly shows that it is the part that I am looking for. Either they are playing dumb or charging an extra 100% to paint it.

uhm - did you check the part the dealer shop actually ordered and handed to you?

I bet it wasn't the right number in the package and they sent a plain bare piece to be matched to either paint code.

now that I think about it I don't really know what mine is - but I have an XLT so it's probably base grey.

anywho give it back to them, get your refund and order that accessory part if that's what you're looking for. it might take a week to get but that's still 90 dollars.

also it doesn't sound like the durable black clearcoat is all that durable.

The part that they gave me was for carbon black for a base model. I am surprised that they were able to match the gloss black clear coat that the Sports trim comes with. I even gave them my VIN number and told them that I had a Sports model.
I had no cars parked behind me and I parked the Explorer leaving about a meter of space between my car and the car in front of me. I walk out of the store and I see my explorer touching the car that I parked in front of me, bending my license plate. A buy stander and witness asked if it my car. I said yeah. He said, well it looks like a minivan just rammed in back of your car and almost hit me on the sidewalk. Minivan's front right side was on the sidewalk. Explorer was pushed by at least 1 meter while in parked position.

I still cant believe how only the middle part of fascia got scratched and just a bit dented but every other part is fine. Maybe the nose was so low that it did not touch any other part in the back of the car. The person told me that he switched on reverse instead ramming the back of my car.

I just had someone rear end me (thinking I was going to run a light) and crack my lower rear facia (just the grey part). The hitch cover needs to be replaced for sure, but there are some cracks on the bigger part too. Anyone know if the part at this link (http://accessories.ford.ca/catalog/product/view/id/11325/s/cover/category/3016/) is for the whole piece? I have the installed factory class III hitch (tow pkg). Also my hands free lift gate is super sensitive now; wondering if it may have been damaged. Can't get to a dealership for another week so hoping anyone here can help

I just had someone rear end me (thinking I was going to run a light) and crack my lower rear facia (just the grey part). The hitch cover needs to be replaced for sure, but there are some cracks on the bigger part too. Anyone know if the part at this link (http://accessories.ford.ca/catalog/product/view/id/11325/s/cover/category/3016/) is for the whole piece? I have the installed factory class III hitch (tow pkg). Also my hands free lift gate is super sensitive now; wondering if it may have been damaged. Can't get to a dealership for another week so hoping anyone here can help
Looking at the following site; http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...gine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat it may be parts 19 and 20 that you need (w/trailer tow). You have to scroll down the page to see a slightly different illustration from the top one.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yeah those are the parts that the body shop in ON quoted me. Except they want 800$ for both parts including labour and paint. My local dealer in NB was only slightly cheaper. For whatever reason I led myself to believe the part on the Ford website was for the entire piece and not just the hitch cover

[QUOTE="ratherman265, post: 3593574, member: 306391" For whatever reason I led myself to believe the part on the Ford website was for the entire piece and not just the hitch cover[/QUOTE]
I do believe it is for the entire piece minus the hitch cover as it states at the beginning "to accommodate the Ford Accessories trailer hitch for additional versatility".

Peter

Back