PIU drive mode

cfd911

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 xlt 4wd
Hey group can anyone answer this ? I was wondering i have see afew PIU’s with select drive mode but does anyone know basically know if the PIU are set to normal or any other mode?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok buy the way guys and gals before i tetired from Chicago FD i was able to plug in my forscan into the 2018 PIU and retrieve all the as built data to compare it to my 2017 daily driver very interesting was able to change afew things but nothing great i know iknow 2 different vehicles but just trying a few things

The PIU has it's own pursuit mode that is always on. I am not sure how it compares to any of the Explorer terrain modes, my guess it would be more like a "Sport" setting. The terrain select knob is not compatible with the PIU as there is no harness.

I have seen piu with terrain mode selector !

I have seen piu with terrain mode selector !
What year? I guess that is a factor. I have never seen them on 11-19. Also is it possible that it is a commercial Explorer outfitted with lights and law enforcement equipment? I have seen some at local auctions here that look like a PIU but are not.

Here is a pic of a 2017 PIU with a center console and a terrain selector!

IMG_2788.png

Check on car gurus i have seen them occasionally that is why i was wondering about them . This is the one

IMG_2789.png

IMG_2788.png

That is an interceptor that the used car dealer swapped a civilian center console into. You can tell because you can barely see the transmission gear selection letters on the center console, but you can also see the column shifter on the steering column. The switch most likely is not hooked up to anything underneath.

That is an interceptor that the used car dealer swapped a civilian center console into. You can tell because you can barely see the transmission gear selection letters on the center console, but you can also see the column shifter on the steering column. The switch most likely is not hooked up to anything underneath.
Ok just curious

It also seems to have leather seats. Does the PIU not come with cloth seats?

Peter

It also seems to have leather seats. Does the PIU not come with cloth seats?

Peter
I think they are seat covers. They don't look OEM to me. Even if they are OEM they could be from the same car they pulled the dash from. It's not hard to do. There is a chance that they are a police version of the leather seats though. The rear seats came in a similar looking vinyl that was designed to be more for easy cleaning rather than comfort.

Could they just be vinyl ???

You are exactly right , after doing research and even looking at my 2017 PIU brochure they donot have a terrain mode selector . I have seen some with a factory console with cup holders , even seen with some with rear air controls and ford aluminum rims available in the PIU brochure but none with terrain mode selector thanks for your insight!

Most AWD PIU do not have a terrain mode selector. They do have specially tuned AdvanceTrac full-time AWD with electronic stability control (ESC) system tailored to emergency driving.

Some features were options that could be added to a PIU that were often used for Investigators unmarked cars, and for Administration vehicles. I have seen PIU with the factory console, carpet, and complete front/rear cloth upholstery.

The pictures above are from AsiaMotors in Chicago, and they have vinyl seat covers they install to cover up worn or damaged factory upholstery. On the AsiaMotors website you can download the original window sticker and see all the features and installed options as built.

If you do some GoogleFu you can find the Ford Police and Special Services Vehicles brochure that describes all the features, available options and special details of the PIU.

Capture.jpg

Most AWD PIU do not have a terrain mode selector. They do have specially tuned AdvanceTrac full-time AWD with electronic stability control (ESC) system tailored to emergency driving.

Some features were options that could be added to a PIU that were often used for Investigators unmarked cars, and for Administration vehicles. I have seen PIU with the factory console, carpet, and complete front/rear cloth upholstery.

The pictures above are from AsiaMotors in Chicago, and they have vinyl seat covers they install to cover up worn or damaged factory upholstery. On the AsiaMotors website you can download the original window sticker and see all the features and installed options as built.

If you do some GoogleFu you can find the Ford Police and Special Services Vehicles brochure that describes all the features, available options and special details of the PIU.

View attachment 444289
Wow very cool thank you for all that information much appreciated

Back