PIU seat belts don’t fit new middle seat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU seat belts don’t fit new middle seat

explorer23032

Reaction score
City, State
federal way
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2015 PIU
Replaced my PIU middle seat with a normal explorer seat and my side middle seat belts are too small for the seat belt receptacles!!! Why can’t these be universal how dumb is this. Anyone dealt with this? Are there any adapters? Replace the seat belt receptacles in the seats or replace the seat belts?? One receptacle in the seat small
, middle one, side ones are large for some reason.
Can’t believe they would make different size belts for PIU, why..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is very interesting. It has not been brought up before. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Peter

just swap the airbag xlt receptacles with your old interceptor ones. i love how people just blame all kinds of bs without knowing facts. how dumb do you feel?

Let's resurrect this old thread, shall we? I have a '15 PIU that had the vinyl bench seat. Pulled that out and swapped in leather buckets and a console. I have the same problem. The PIU seat belts are too short to engage - lock into - the receptacles on the buckets. The seats came out of a '15 (based on donor VIN).

And no, the receptacles aren't the same and really can't be swapped out between the bench and buckets - so no, I don't feel dumb at all. If you don't have any constructive advice, you really should keep your mouth shut.

Let's resurrect this old thread, shall we? I have a '15 PIU that had the vinyl bench seat. Pulled that out and swapped in leather buckets and a console. I have the same problem. The PIU seat belts are too short to engage - lock into - the receptacles on the buckets. The seats came out of a '15 (based on donor VIN).

And no, the receptacles aren't the same and really can't be swapped out between the bench and buckets - so no, I don't feel dumb at all. If you don't have any constructive advice, you really should keep your mouth shut.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you replied to was last seen here on July 27, 2016, so likely isn't around any longer.
It sounds as though what is needed is some kind of adapter to extend the current belt and with a buckle that fits. I don't know if these are even available or if they can be custom-made. Is this issue resulting in the seatbelt alarm being ON? Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you replied to was last seen here on July 27, 2016, so likely isn't around any longer.
It sounds as though what is needed is some kind of adapter to extend the current belt and with a buckle that fits. I don't know if these are even available or if they can be custom-made. Is this issue resulting in the seatbelt alarm being ON? Good luck.

Peter
Was really just trying to get a bump out of the thread to see if anyone knew anything or ran into a similar issue. Shot a message to richey directly. It would seem these 2nd row buckets most likely came out of an Explorer that had inflatable seat belts. So it's either get inflatable belts to put in or find a set of standard buckles on buckets to swap out.

I swapped the second seat of my 14 PIU with the 60/40 bench seat from a 14 XLT. It bolted in and seat belts worked fine. The only thing I had to do was buy seat belts for the 3rd row since the PIU doesn't come with them. Sounds like you need to swap one end or the other to get it to work.

Back