PIU Towing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PIU Towing

Or at the risk of others. Its negligence if you were to be in an accident.
There are other things in the drivetrain that are not beefed up(coolers etc).

Thanks for the input. Do you know which bits are not beefed up? From what i have read the PIU is in general, more robust, with bigger brakes, a better radiator, oil, and transmission coolers, where the civilian version has none, or inferior equivalent bits. This was my source:

"The P.I. Utility gets a unique cooling system with a larger radiator, additional transmission cooler, engine-oil cooler, a larger grille to provide greater air flow, and a water-cooled all-wheel-drive system"

I do not wish to cause any harm to the general public, but the engineer in me is trying to understand where the weakness is (versus civilian version). Other posters had speculated that the 2500lb limit was just Ford being conservative and not wanting to incur the liability for towing mishaps in law enforcement use. But it is now in civilian hands.

Maybe the source above is inaccurate, particularly since they mention "water-colled all-wheel drive", whatever that means...
:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That cutout is to allow for air to cool the PTU and also the rear turbo. Behind that cutout is the air duct. Lower grille cutout?

Peter

I am assuming both the Ecoboost turbo and the 3.7 litre have the Power Transfer Unit for the AWD system, but only the Ecoboost needs more airflow to the turbo. Mine is a 2015 normally aspirated PIU.

Thanks for the input. Do you know which bits are not beefed up? From what i have read the PIU is in general, more robust, with bigger brakes, a better radiator, oil, and transmission coolers, where the civilian version has none, or inferior equivalent bits. This was my source:

"The P.I. Utility gets a unique cooling system with a larger radiator, additional transmission cooler, engine-oil cooler, a larger grille to provide greater air flow, and a water-cooled all-wheel-drive system"

I do not wish to cause any harm to the general public, but the engineer in me is trying to understand where the weakness is (versus civilian version). Other posters had speculated that the 2500lb limit was just Ford being conservative and not wanting to incur the liability for towing mishaps in law enforcement use. But it is now in civilian hands.

Maybe the source above is inaccurate, particularly since they mention "water-colled all-wheel drive", whatever that means...
:)
Tow button
Different bracing.in the rear end(odd why wouldn't improve)
Coolers may be different. Maybe not...
Software?

Honestly I can't help you more. Folks complain about these towing 4000 non PI with tow package.

I am assuming both the Ecoboost turbo and the 3.7 litre have the Power Transfer Unit for the AWD system, but only the Ecoboost needs more airflow to the turbo. Mine is a 2015 normally aspirated PIU.
You still have the PTU to which this duct directs air for cooling. That cutout and duct were on pre-turbo Explorers if they had the tow package. Also, the retail units with the tow package have a different transmission. The water cooling likely refers to the PTU.

Peter

You still have the PTU to which this duct directs air for cooling. That cutout and duct were on pre-turbo Explorers if they had the tow package. Also, the retail units with the tow package have a different transmission. The water cooling likely refers to the PTU.

Peter

Thank you, that is good to know. I thought the PIU only had different shift points / software, but that the hardware was the same. I wander why Ford offers the hitch part for sale as a standalone, and without warnings? Mysteries continue...

According to the Manual the maximum weight is 2500 lbs.
1618007404495.png

I don't see where there is a higher limit. The following article shows the maximum tow capacity as 2000 lbs. 2015 Ford Utility Police Interceptor Specifications, Details, and Data | Autobytel.com
Here is a thread on the 3.7L. Towing Capacity of 2015 PIU with 3.7
I believe the hitch is offered as a standalone item because there is no factory tow package for the PIU. Anyone adding a hitch would be governed by the PIU Manual.

I installed factory Hitch, I pull a 20ft pontoon. Tandem axle trailer. Sometimes hates hill, but a tuner can help with that, this will be first year with a custom tow tune since we cannot get a Tow button or mode.

Dealers sell the hitches because customers want to tow, and use accessories in the hitches. Most of them also don’t intimately know the specs of what they are selling. They are in the business of making money, over providing you the most accurate information.

The PIU is fine to tow, it’s just not rated to tow like a towing package. With the typical rough service a PIU sees, I’m not surprised they don’t want the extra liability of rating it to tow a lot, also.

Back