• Register Today It's free!

Plate speakers vs oval

stryfe

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Sport Trac XLT
Since most folks are convinced round speakers are better than oval speakers, do you think a 5x7/6x8 plate speaker would do better in the doors than an oval 5x7/6x8?

Here are the ones that I'm able to find.....what do yall think about this?

Pioneer $99
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=10512

Kenwood $89
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19271

Boston Acoustic $159
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2792_Boston+Acoustics+SL80.html

Clarion $69
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17337

Well yall get the hint....I know there are more...higher end and lower end.

I can find a lot of review for the Boston Acoustic...but not much else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always thought they'd be a better option, but I notice that a lot of companies stopped making them... Not sure if it was because they sucked, weren't reliable or maybe just not very popular... But I always figured that would be the way to go...

I used to know something about audio many moons ago but forgot a lot of it.. Does it matter what type of seal you get when you put the speaks in? Seems like it does?

Have to be honest at that range of speaks I'd put in whatever fits easy. If you could find a inexpensive set of Diamonds, Focal, MB Quart or other equivalent brand you'd be stepping up in quality.

What was that website that sold audio gear that had the squirrel with the big balls?

thezeb.. went outa business. The squirrel was cool though.

If you're just powering them from a head unit I'm not sure I'd get a nominal 40w RMS speaker set.. Someone with more knowledge needs to chime in on that one.

Just looked at a Clarion head unit, claims it puts out 20w rms. Might be enough?

@ Nitro71
I see how you got 344 posts in just 2 months.

Lets get this thread back on topic.

What do you folks think of plate speakers....as good, not as good, or better than equivalent ovals?

i just pulled out my auidibahn plates because i blew one. i replaced then with some plk 2 waysthat are reated a little higher as far as wattage goes. to be honest the plates have a cleaner sound due to a better woofer imo. the oval 2ways are louder but break up easer. i have running 2 pairs in my ex both have a kenwood 600 watt amp each . i would recomend a good set of plates they will sound alot cleaner. hope that helps

i just pulled out my auidibahn plates because i blew one. i replaced then with some plk 2 waysthat are reated a little higher as far as wattage goes. to be honest the plates have a cleaner sound due to a better woofer imo. the oval 2ways are louder but break up easer. i have running 2 pairs in my ex both have a kenwood 600 watt amp each . i would recomend a good set of plates they will sound alot cleaner. hope that helps

That's along the lines that I was thinking.....just wanted to get others' input. The way I look at it....if you believe round speakers sound better than ovals....how could you not think plates are better than ovals?

differences.

2 way plate speakers have MUCH less cone area than the full size counterpart.

The round vs oval thing is crap...to an extent. Either will sound fine if installed properly.

I would go with the full size speakers...much more cone area....better efficiency. better dynamics....more sound...less stress on the equipment.

Just make sure the speakers are quality.

I was up late that night.. but those speaks I listed are pretty nice!

Almost all speakers are round. There are some square ones, though.

The whole thing about the circle vs. oval shape is that the driver of a circle speaker is the same size all around, where an oval or any other shape has more/less driver area in different directions. You'd have to look at the physics behind waves and what's involved in making sound by vibrating air, but other shapes are more difficult and definitely more complicated. Most oval drivers just change the driver shape and keep everything else the same as if they were a circle, which is usually the argument against them.

That's at the high end of things, though. Most people can hook some some 6x8's or 6x9's with a head unit powering them and crank it all the way and not care about the distortion. Cheap (factory) speakers and electronics have WAY more distortion than anything caused by the oval shape. A quality oval speaker will have much less distortion than even an ok circle speaker, and the signal the speaker gets from the amplifier and source is even more of a factor than it's shape. You can put a crappy oval speaker on a high end head unit ( 0.01% THD) and get better sound than you will from the best round speaker hooked up to a factory deck (10% THD). It might not sound better to your ears, though, but spec-wise, it would be.

If I were sending lots of power to the speakers or wanted a super high end audio system, sure, a setup with a circle shaped midrange is where it's at.

The oval speakers are a compromise anyway, as are coaxials. Even actual "plate" speakers make compromises to fit the speakers on the plate.

The best high end setup is seperates, mounted to an adapter plate if you want them in the factory location.

Drop-in oval speakers are an easy, rather inexpensive, and simple drop-in item for those who want an upgrade but don't really need ultra high end. Most people who get to the level of worrying about the shape of their speakers aren't dropping replacements into the stock locations, anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about mixing them?

Plates in the front....for the extra clarity

Ovals in the back....for the extra bass

Would this be good....or foolish

Back