• Register Today It's free!

platinum spark plugs

NoelWelds

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
i bought some motorcraft platinum fine wire spark plugs (AGSF22FM) and they told me that they were pre gaped because they are platinum plugs is that true or do i need to gap then before installing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always check. You spent over $40 on plugs a $2 gap tool makes since.

OK but the guy at the auto store told me that your not suppose to gap them because you could mes-up the platinum electrode

OK but the guy at the auto store told me that your not suppose to gap them because you could mes-up the platinum electrode
I was wondering about that as well, was told the samething... now what??

Check the gaps anyway...

While it is possible to bend the thin tip of the center electrode, you would have to be really ham-fisted to do this...

Every plug I have installed I have checked and corrected the plug gap if needed and I have never damaged the plug tip by adjusting the gap..

don't wedge anything between the Pt electrode point and the ground. Only adjust the ground lead with a small pliers.

Always check the gap.

you can get a feeler gauge with a set of gaping hooks on it. A wedge gaping tool will tear the hell out of the plug

Back