Please don't tell me the tranny is shot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please don't tell me the tranny is shot

nugsta25

Reaction score
City, State
evansville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 Auto 4x4. 123XXX miles. Trans fluid flushed at 95K. Trans has never slipped or given me any troubles whatsover. Have owned for 60K miles/6 years.

Out of nowhere it would rev to about 3500-4750 RPM and "slam" into 3rd gear. All other shifts are smooth and normal from what I can tell. A couple of times when it would "slam" into third it was accompanied by a little "chirp" but not every time. OD LIGHT doesnt start blinking until it slams into 3rd for the first time after vehicle is shut off.

I have had the normal intermittent ABS light/cruise not working, for some time now, just havent fooled with it...dont know if there's a possible relation.

I have a shop that I trust, but I like to fix things myself if I am capable. Any thoughts or diagnosis?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sure the transfer case is not in LO range? if so, then the transmission is probably going into limp mode and not using overdrive - of which 2nd is typically an overdrive of 1st so your transmission is going from 1st to 3rd, hence the high RPM difference in the first shift point. Unless you have a scanner, I'd take it in to that shop you trust.

OK I wont tell you but........what you are describing sounds a lot like the intermediate servo and or band is not happy.

You sure the transfer case is not in LO range? if so, then the transmission is probably going into limp mode and not using overdrive - of which 2nd is typically an overdrive of 1st so your transmission is going from 1st to 3rd, hence the high RPM difference in the first shift point. Unless you have a scanner, I'd take it in to that shop you trust.

Positive I was not in 4 lo but, When I push the 4x4 high it transfers into it, when I push 4x4 LO, the orange light on the button blinks rapidly.

OK I wont tell you but........what you are describing sounds a lot like the intermediate servo and or band is not happy.

What is entailed in fixing this? how much roughly? I believe I also read that fixing this only puts a band aid on the trans for a while...is this correct?

If it is a band then the only way to fix it would be to use that word you don't want to here, if it is a servo you could replace it with the o-ringed ones, may work may not.

It could also be the solenoid pack or not as likely but possible is it is the valve body.

What is entailed in fixing this? how much roughly? I believe I also read that fixing this only puts a band aid on the trans for a while...is this correct?

If it is the servo bore wear issue, a fairly inexpensive fix is the replacement o-ringed servos offered by fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com. Install looks pretty straight forward based on the instructions on the site, no need to remove the transmission, just put the truck up on jackstands, take off the passenger side exhaust heat shield, and go to work.

BTW I have a set of them for sale, new in box. See the for sale thread in my signature for details.

After more reading I've heard a few people say a bad brake light switch can cause this. Anyone experience this??

ok guys....please help!! Took into aamco becuase they were running a free diagnostics special.
He wouldnt give me the codes but he said it threw 2 codes....1 for Gear ratio 3 incorrect. 1 for Line Pressure Solenoid Fault. He said, rebuild($2500), get a reman($3500, longer warranty), or get a used one($1500).
What are everyones opinion on my options?? Are those two codes severe? Thanks again!! you guys are awesome!

a ford reman is 2300..... i would run.

If it is the servo bore wear issue, a fairly inexpensive fix is the replacement o-ringed servos offered by fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com. Install looks pretty straight forward based on the instructions on the site, no need to remove the transmission, just put the truck up on jackstands, take off the passenger side exhaust heat shield, and go to work.

BTW I have a set of them for sale, new in box. See the for sale thread in my signature for details.

Do you know what code it will throw for the servo bore issue?

run from the truck or from aamco? The price I stated was installed BTW. Is the ford reman 2300 installed?

2300 for a box trans not including labor. thats everything new, with a pre checked working case.

it only pays 4.6 hrs to remove and install a trans. that includes everything tcase, etc.

and thats full OEM parts.

aamco will use prebuilt parts, i know a broken band or servo will throw 3rd gear ratio and 5th gear ratio codes.

in all honestly i say you need about 300 in parts (aftermarket) to fix it. so yes 2500 is very high considering they didnt even look to see what is broken.

Probably has codes p0733 and p0775. It is usually servo piston/case wear problem.

Probably has codes p0733 and p0775. It is usually servo piston/case wear problem.

if that is the case would the o-ringed servos i've been reading about cure my problem?

if that is the case would the o-ringed servos i've been reading about cure my problem?

I would prefer to say "resolve" more than "cure" as it is not the best solution. Unfortunately the best solution involves transmission R&R, which is a great deal pricier to have done than doing the o-rings. They are a sufficient fix for the issue.

If I were you I would try to do a intermediate band adjustment, if the band will not tighten down then a new/rebuilt/reman tranny is your only option, if you can make the adjustment then drive it and see if that made a difference.

If the band is not broken you may be able to fix it, it could be the servo bore is bad, broken servo, a bad solenoid pack or maybe a valve body. (that was in order of likelihood)

Back