please help battery problems

dannyces

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
hello all
ok so my battery died the other day i when and got a charger pulled out the battery and charged it. put it back into the truck and well now it dont start. i have lights and i can hear the fuel pump kick on also have 12.37 volts at battery but when i turn the key it wont turn over. it does click just one time and thats it.. i have tried searching here and i just cant find the answer. can someone please help me i gotta get this truck goin today
thanks
Danny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try jumping it. Your battery might be toast.

yeah i guess i figured the battery was shot... two things though can i still jump start it if the battery is shot and also wouldnt my charger not charge a bad battery???
thx again

It may be shot. Auto parts stores can test it. Yes you can jump it. Sorry, nothing will charge a battery back to good.

hey thanks for the reply i guess i figured that so would the charger say its fully charged and good to go if the battery is bad??? also when i check the volts with a tester at the battery i get 12.3 is that right??? i cant get to the parts store if she don't start......:roll: always something
thanks again for any help

I think how it works is it shows charged because its cells that can take a charge are charged, but other cells can't take a charge. I'm obviously no expert. I've had OK luck with craigslist batteries if your'e pinching pennies.

cool thanks again for the replies.. so then what should the volts read at the battery is 12.3 too low??? also i didnt even think about craigslist thanks for the reminder

i have tried searching here
Entering the terms "no start" into the google forum search bar above gives this page. The second and fourth results are these two links. Both of which may help you if you take the time to actually read through them.

Link 1

Link 2

hey thanks for the links i did actually read them and well that's when i posted this thread..what i need to know is what should the volts at the battery be??? is 12.3 to low i have read that it should be between 12.5 and 12.7

With the engine off and the vehicle sitting for at least an hour around 12.3V would be normal.

I had something similar happen to me...when I would try to start the truck it would just go "tink" and that's it. Turned out that the wire going to the starter was loose and when i would try to start it could just ground out to the passenger side cat.

Back